Extreme rules on Dating – is this for all congregations?

by Bonnie_Clyde 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Wayward
    Wayward

That's extreme. Sounds more like the Duggers than even the strictest JWs I knew.

• Chook
    Chook

Just another example of going beyond what's written. The church does it, the parents do it, it's a grand cycle.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

There was a congregation near me (elders were like nazis) who from the platform an elder told a dating ADULT couple that one of them should move their seat.

No not at all a cult.

• Saename
    Saename

Never knew dating couples couldn't sit together... I was once asked that question by one teacher, and I answered that couples can be together at meetings. That's how it is in the congregations I've attended in Canada. Apparently, some congregations are sick as hell, though...

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Somewhere in one of the societies 60's publications it was suggested that a couple should sleep apart on their wedding night so as to show respect to Jehovah by withholding gratification.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember that was an unofficial rule that dating couples could not sit together, but if they were engaged to each other they could. It was a sign that they were engaged.

The thing to remember that the WTS allows local BOEs to make rules for their individual congregation and it can differ from congregation to congregation.

I was in one congregation where sisters were allowed to have 2 piercings in each ear. Another only permitted one and one extreme one, none.

In the same circuit one BOE allowed brothers to have mustaches, another only allowed black or Hispanic brothers, and another allowed none. The brothers who wanted mustaches changed to the congregations that allowed it.

Each BOEs interpretation of order in the congregation.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has a general Talmud and individual congregations do too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit