Extreme rules on Dating – is this for all congregations?

by Bonnie_Clyde 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Just found out that in the congregation we used to attend there are two young brothers, both are sons of elders and recently engaged to girls in neighboring congregations. Instructions are that they may not sit together at assemblies or meetings. But get this….they can’t even ride in the same car even if their parents are also in the car. However, they are allowed to talk on the phone as long as it doesn’t get past 9 p.m.

How on earth can they get to know one another? Yet, they are required to spend the rest of their life with someone they barely know?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sounds like more than just strict rules. Maybe the parents don't approve of the choices.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I have heard that dating couples should not sit together at the meetings until engaged but everything else you mentioned sounds excessive. I agree with slim, sounds like the parents are enforcing the extra rules.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I sounds as if they don't trust their kids. It sound as if the sons or daughters will go sex crazy if alone with in minutes. These folks are little extreme.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I knew one elder that made his daughter and her boyfriend sit with an inflated balloon between them.

Needless to say she ended up quite a rebel and left "the truth" as soon as she was old enough to move out. I hear she's a pole dancer now.

• zeb
    zeb

as BC just said; "How on earth can they get to know one another? Yet, they are required to spend the rest of their life with someone they barely know?

another miserable wt marriage coming up.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

How on earth can they get to know one another? Yet, they are required to spend the rest of their life with someone they barely know?

It`s a WatchTarded Story..

That keeps repeating itself over the decades..

Image result for Shotgun wedding

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

pale;Were we in the same congregation.."elder daughter a pole dancer"??? You wonder how many elders daughters choose that lucrative career...But it's about the same with evangelist I guess, the young ladies I knew and their father were preachers , they were WILD.......The preacher's daughter.......

• honest
    honest

I had that same experience. Although I was allowed to sit next to my boyfriend I was not allowed to call him my boyfriend, kiss him till our wedding night, nor was I allowed to stay at his parents house for dinner past 9 pm, or look at my fiancee as if I wanted to have sex with him. he was not allowed to kiss me when we had our engagement, and the night before our wedding when we had to go to the wedding reception to finalise details I had to sit in the back of the car while he drove because we had no available chaperones. we were chaperoned heavily ( which had made me lie on many occasions so we could have alone time, oh and we never had sex during those times, I was a good jw) I then was told to not kiss on my wedding video so I wouldnt bring shame on "Jehovah" and our worldly relatives would see how clean we are.

I disobeyed all of those rules.

I am very happy with my partner. We are best friends and have left the jw's together. In the end we won..

• JeffT
    JeffT
    I then was told to not kiss on my wedding video so I wouldnt bring shame on "Jehovah" and our worldly relatives would see how clean we are.

The worldly relatives probably wondered what the hell kind of f'd up religion didn't let you kiss at your wedding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit