The problem of sex (or why I'm not an atheist)

by EdenOne 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

EdenOne, it's so refreshing when someone defines atheism correctly instead of spouting that tiresome cliche, "atheists don't believe in God".

It seems to me that you actually are an atheist but that you're rather hesitant to accept the label, why would that be? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bear in mind that even if every question around evolution could be answered to your satisfaction, and all but a few can be, that still wouldn't "[rule] out a supernatural / intelligent intervention", it's just that such an intervention isn't necessary and never has been.

• looter
    looter

It isn't a careless supposition at all. It's just them taking a look at the complexity of reproduction and realizing that it appears to be designed rather than come from superficial chance.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Island Man, I can see the advantages of a broader pool of genetic material versus a near carbon copy of cloning as produced by asexual reproduction. I'm puzzled as to why the cells replicate by means of mitosis cytokinesis but when it comes to reproduction it's a different process called meiosis cytokinesis. How come some living organisms developed such a differentiated process for reproduction while others kept the earlier and simpler (and more efficient) mechanism of mitosis? The process of meiosis is no simple variation of the process of mitosis. It envolves a very different process that couldn't work as a simple variation of mitosis, and in order to work it would have to start off as a complex process in itself.

• Island Man
    Island Man

The origin of sexual reproduction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9IeL9lqS7I

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Giordano, like I pointed out, the article was written by two people who are proponents of Intelligent Design. But, for once, as I also posted, can we forget about the messengers and focus on the message? I'm not advocating ID or theism. I would like to overcome this hurdle that represents the difficulty in coming up with a feasible explanation why evolution dictated the differentiation of sexual genre and sexual reproduction - how come two very different and necessarily interdependent reproductive apparatus have evolved for each species?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Yes looter, it does appear to be designed doesn't it? No arguments there. So what could account for that appearance if we are honestly looking for answers that work in the real world?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty, your questions deserve a more lengthy reply. I'm still working, but I promise to come back to you later on.

• looter
    looter

It's only logical to assume that God created it, nicolaou. I and many other theists see the rapid onset of advanced humanity as harmonious with scripture’s account of the special creation of man in the image of the living God. A highlight of the genesis account is the creation of man in which the initial mention of the vast array of the creation of life forms concludes that God created man and woman to become many and feel the earth. His original plan for reproduction and gametes is very clear. Genesis 1:27 characterizes male and female reproduction as a divine plan originating in the mind of the Creator. The more we discover scientifically, the more it goes back to the bible.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

In my journey away from JWism I accepted evolution as a fact.

This is where I find an issue. The JWs promote this black and white mentality, that if you don't believe their nonsense then you have to believe the opposite. Where does it say anywhere that one has to become an atheist or evolutionist simply because you don't believe in religion or the bible?

Something that I learn was that the WT not only tells people what they are supposed to be, do and believe, but also tells them what they are supposed to be, do and believe if they leave. So, EdenOne, look for how much of your way of thinking may still be influenced by the way the WT promotes that people should think. Your post still resembles that all-or-nothing, black and white mentality. You don't need to be an atheist to believe in evolution, you don't need to believe in evolution to be an atheist, you don't need to constantly look for scientific proof if you truly believe in intelligent design. Your belief is just your choice.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

looter, an evolutionary biologist named Jerry Coyne wrote a book called 'Why Evolution is True' in which he lays out clearly all the evidence to back up his claim.

There is another book, the Bible, which makes the claim that life was created by god. Show me evidence to back up that claim.

When I ridicule religion I'm making no positive argument for evolution but by the same token you aren't convincing anybody about creation if you only ridicule evolution.

So how about this, let's agree to just argue our corner without disparaging the other side? Believe me, I'll find that as difficult as you will.

Deal?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit