was Darwin an atheist?

by Ruby456 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    asking this Q because my own feeling about this is that he probably believed in God but his evolutionary thesis is used to support atheism. how come?
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

was Darwin an atheist?

............Image result for Darwin agnostic

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thanks outlaw.

trouble is he often said he believed in God. for example when he wrote On The Origin of the Species he said he was a firm believer in God.

does agnostic mean that one can be a believer in God sometimes and not believe in God at other times?

• Landy
    Landy
    There is a school of thought that one of the reasons he delayed publication of OTOOTS is that he didn't want to offend the sensibilities of his deeply religious family and peers. I think it's fairly certain that he was a believer before his voyages on the beagle but a lot less so after his return.
  • cofty
    cofty

Darwin was studying to be an Anglican minister as a young man. His wife was a devout christian.

I took this picture of the grave of Darwin's beloved daughter Annie in Malvern on holiday last year. She died aged 11. This was the end of Darwin's faith.

• cofty
    cofty
    his evolutionary thesis is used to support atheism. how come? - Ruby

This is a common misunderstanding.

Millions of rational believers accept the fact of evolution.

Evolution makes a creator god redundant it doesn't make him impossible.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

He became an agnostic.

Evolution does not say anything against the concept of a "higher creative power" or "god."

• Mephis
    Mephis
    does agnostic mean that one can be a believer in God sometimes and not believe in God at other times?

More the final position he reached, with a long personal journey to get there. Most biographies trace the change over time until eventually he's willing to go public with his agnosticism.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Agnostic literally means "without knowledge", or "without evidence" may be better.

Using this definition many rational thinkers prefer it as a label to being saddled with the label "Atheist" as the latter causes pointless debates that they do not wish to engage in.

In effect, they are saying " As there is no evidence whatsoever for a Creator God I simply have a mind open to examining any evidence that does come along, but as for now, there is no such evidence".

I think Darwin would not have caviled at the above.

• Landy
    Landy

In effect, they are saying " As there is no evidence whatsoever for a Creator God I simply have a mind open to examining any evidence that does come along, but as for now, there is no such evidence".

That's an atheist point of view rather than an agnostic. A atheist simply has a 'lack of belief', but is willing to be swayed by any subsequent evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit