Storm Desmond flooding UK

by Xanthippe 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

So 550,00 homes in Lancaster without power because of flooding in a substation caused by Desmond. Including my daughter who is at university there. No electricity. She can't get home because there are no trains. Her phone doesn't work. She has been phoning me on her friend's phone but her friend is now leaving to go home so we will be out of contact. Electricity North West gave an estimate of 7pm but I can't see it, I've seen the pictures of their flooded substation on their Twitter feed and it looks terrible, deep water.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Sounds awful.....sorry to hear how you're affected.

Kate xx

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Is it out of the question that she could go home?

Boy this is where a REAL network of friendships (or call it religon, but really it's like minds)would come in handy. She could do with someone not too far away to rescue her - I live in London unfortunately, I do hope she's ok.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks Kate.

Diogenesister it's too far for me to drive with no one to take over and give me a break. If she decides to get to the station and just see if the trains are running she can ring me as soon as she gets here and of course I'll pick her up from the station. But without a phone or internet she can't even check the trains. Thanks for your concern I appreciate it.

• totallydisappointed
    totallydisappointed
    I've been watching the news, looks horrendous in Cumbria. I stopped off at Lancaster on my way to the Lake District, its a great town. Loved it. We've had the storms bad enough down here.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

My daughters friend is now home her parents picked her up, she lives in Lancashire. She has phoned me because she's now found out uni has been cancelled because the power is expected to be off until Tuesday night at least. So there is the whole of Lancaster without power for three days by then. My daughter among them with no light, no heat, no phone, no internet and she needn't have stayed because there's no uni! Damn just want to go and get her. Damn! When her friend whose phone worked was still there I told my girl to walk until she gets a signal tomorrow. Then she will get my messages to come home. Just hope she can get a train.

There's nothing I can do. Feel helpless but we are when the elements strike like this. Wish I had a brother who would help me drive up there and get her. He's an elder so well you know the rest of that story. I'm rambling sorry.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

This goes to show how vulnerable civilization is to something as simple as a power blackout. Without electricity you cannot even buy food.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Is that Carlisle VI ? Carlisle has been very badly hit, completely under water. The Lake District had 14 inches of rain in a few hours, that's a months rain. My daughter just got a signal for a few minutes and I told her to get on a train tomorrow morning because there's more rain on the way. Lancaster Uni is providing buses to Preston station because Lancaster is still flooded. The line has gone dead again.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Xanthippe, 14 inches of rain is what my local area is supposed to get in a year.
  • Tornintwo
    Tornintwo
    I'm sorry xanthippe you must be so stressed. I'm sure she'll be fine, hopefully all the students will help eachother out X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit