I was impressed by part of today's symposium entitled ' Safeguard your children from what is evil'

by UnshackleTheChains 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Half banana
    Half banana

You said it Magnum! The org only responds to something if it is going to affect their income or public image.

They now have to respond to prevent their tarnished reputation from getting worse by blaming outsiders when they were the ones at fault for harbouring offenders and not reporting them to the police. Equally they are culpable as a religious body for a total absence of compassion, nor did they organise any practical help whatsoever for the abused. Some caring Christian organisation this is.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Is WT letting the congregation know there is a pedophile in their midst? It is one thing to warn parents to watch over their children but if the parents don't know than it can be difficult. I left my children with families for short periods of time, when we were still in. If I'm not warned there is someone in the congregation that has been suspect, it's difficult to watch out for.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry
    I am seeing more and more that the org is more reactive than proactive. A lot of times, when there's some change, important article, etc., it's because the org is reacting to something that affects it.

And even then, it's only after 20 years have gone by.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains
    I am seeing more and more that the org is more reactive than proactive. A lot of times, when there's some change, important article, etc., it's because the org is reacting to something that affects it.
    Most JWs will think "how loving that Jehovah's organization is so concerned about evil predators getting our children." What those JWs won't know is that the reason the info is in the talk is that the org has been and is being sued in connection with child molestation issues and that many of the molesters are in the congregations of JWs

Magnum

It's true what you are saying, but look at the bigger picture here. The good that comes out of this is that the jw.org juggernaut is slowly but surely beginning to turn around in the right direction. It has a long way to go, but it is becoming more and more evident that the GB is sitting up and taking notice.

I just hope they put truth and mercy ahead of their own interests sooner rather than later.

• John Davis
    John Davis

I am sorry to tell people but of the last 4 cases that have dealt with Watchtower that has finally had a resolution in the US 3 have gone for Watchtower, only the Fessler case went against Watchtower. And really the US where there is no limit on damages caused by this will Watchtower have to pay any substantial money. Even in Australia it probably won't be as big as many people on here think. First, it is going to be a question of if the Australian parliament will even take the ARC recommendation and start a pool for survivors to draw from and then it is up the parliament to decide what kind of a time limit there will be on filing a claim and who is eligible to file a claim. It is not going to be the thing that breaks Watchtower, it is going to hobble them but it won't break them.

• freddo
    freddo

"Unshackle" - "I just hope they put truth and mercy ahead of their own interests sooner rather than later."

That has never happened and will never happen. Why would you think that it would?

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains
    It is not going to be the thing that breaks Watchtower, it is going to hobble them but it won't break them.

The ARC hearing and court cases in the US were not intended to break the organisation. They were simply about injustice and efforts at putting things right.

That has never happened and will never happen. Why would you think that it would?

Because the GB are human beings. They also claim to be Christian. If they look deep enough into their own souls, they might just be able to move mountains.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

John Davis - Would it be possible for you to post a copy of the "new policy" that you say "came out in August last year"? It sounds interesting I would like to read it.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Yeah that talk is really too little too late.

• It focuses on parent's and children's responsibility. While educating parents and children in itself is good, they completely fail to mention what the organization does (not) do to protect children.
    • The importance of children dressing modestly is mentioned. Implicit and ridiculous victim blaming. Asshats.
    • It is mentioned that most child abusers are people the child knows and trusts. For JW children, that would be almost exclusively other JW! Yet the examples of 'suspect' situations make no mention of anything related to JW (such as a bro studying with someone else's child, or lone field service)
    • The talk makes no mention whatsoever of the importance of alerting the police.
    • The talk makes no mention of the importance of getting professional mental help for victims.
    • The talk doesn't mention any of the utterly flawed and failing policies the JW have.

Imagine listening to a Catholic bishop telling his flock they should watch out for abusers (implying they'd be non-Catholic), while everyone knows that bishop just transferred an abusive priest to another parish instead of calling the police.

I'd spit on that bishop and his talk. And I spit on the Watchtower and their fucked up policies and 'it's your problem and not our fault' talk on child abuse

• John Davis
    John Davis

Sparrowdown:

From the Austrailian Royal Commission own website, for a true and accurate copy of the letter.

http://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/exhibits/10908a67-70c5-4103-94cc-dac096fdb585/case-study-54,-march-2017,-sydney

It is entitled Letter from Watchtower Australia to All Bodies of Elders regarding Protecting Minors From Abuse

ID: WAT.0024.001.0001

The releveant parts:

18. Direction from the Service Department to the elders will include restrictions imposed on an individual’s activities within the congregation, on his participation in the field ministry, and on his interaction with minors. The elders will be directed to caution the individual never to be alone with a minor, not to cultivate friendships with minors, not to display affection for minors, and so forth. In some cases, the Service Department may specifically direct elders to inform parents of minors within the congregation of the need to monitor their children’s interaction with an individual. If the body of elders has questions about a past case, two elders should be assigned to call the Service Department for direction. The coordinator of the body of elders should ensure that newly appointed elders and elders who move into the congregation are made aware of the Service Department’s direction regarding such individuals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit