The popularity fad of home-schooling!

by stuckinarut2 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

@Landy, i totally agree with what you've stated - the intangibles are the things that stamp a generation and make it different from the preceding one. A kid has to be out there breathing in the culture of their own generation. It's not a thing that I can specifically describe but they have to get marked as one of that period in time.

There are lots of movies about people who have lived in isolation for whatever reason and then upon entering regular society the comedy ensues. Everyone can tell that there is something different or foreign about how they think, speak, act and react.

Individualism is wonderful but sometimes it is not good. Sometimes fitting in is very important.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Landy and others, Homschooling is NOT about isolation. At least proper, valued homeschooling is not. The parents seek out all sorts of varied people to provide input. The parents are the "school" and are able to trade out, or find experts in fields to take some classes from once a week.

There are homeschool groups organized in a school setting, but held only once a week. This gives the children a taste of the group settings, they do group projects.

It is NOT isolating! It is making the best use of the time in education, lots of away from the desk learning. Lots of field trips with educational subjects incorporated all around. Some subjects like math or grammar ( languages), must be rote memorization for a while to get a good foundation, then take off on different routes. Imagine your home schooled Spanish class with other homeschooled kids in an immersion Spanish class by a native speaker. A robotics class taught by a retired engineer who thoroughly loves the subject. These classes are common. To go to one location, learn from the same set of teachers every day, 9+ months out of the year with 30 or so other classmates is not helpful. Every person learns at different paces. Different ways. It creates stress for those not learning at the same pace of the teachers curriculum. This is not how to foster a love of learning.

Homeschooled kids are able to take advantage of taking acting classes at the local theater which are offered during regular school hours. Be in plays, during school hours. Take music lessons from local conservatories and even do concerts, which can be during school hours, or conflict with traditional school activities. There are homeschool sports teams. They are able to spend more family time together without the confines of a school system dictating the days off, which many times do not coordinate.

I could keep going, but will stop now.... /end soapbox

• Simon
    Simon

It seems to me that most of the time, those most in favour of home-schooling are least capable of doing it properly.

Whereas those most capable of educating a child prefer to put their children through the system that educated them.

• Landy
    Landy

That sounds really good and I'm sure the parents put a lot of effort into it but there's already such places where kids can go to do all those things.

They're called schools.

The social side effects of going to school are as important as the academic goals. Tell me which home schooled teenager learned to undo a bra strap with one hand? Got into a playground fight? Dropped water bombs on a teacher's head from the third floor? Turned a teacher's reliant robin over in the car park (only the uk ones will get that)? Got absolutely mortal on smuggled vodka during a chemistry lesson and had to be collected by very irate parents? Looking longingly at a girl you've fancied for 3 weeks and now know a love like no one ever has before you?

These are all rites of passage and to deny a child those experiences is a shame.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It has wisely often been said that parents should never teach their own teenager to drive, but should rather have a trained driving instructor teach them. Otherwise, the teenage may not take the lessons seriously, or listen to the directions. Also, the bad driving habits of the parents may simply be adopted by the teenager.

Similar situation to education?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@Landy-------you missed out about learning how to masturbate.

• Landy
    Landy
    @Landy-------you missed out about learning how to masturbate.

I think there were enough wankers at the Kingdom Hall to teach me how to do that.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Grandkid here seems to thrive in public high school but she needs cheerleaders at home. It's a big help to her to know she's got our support, approval and understanding. We never criticize the school, but build up her faith in the value of what she's learning, both scholastically and people-wise.

In other words, the exact opposite of what my father did in my life, LOL!

• Landy
    Landy
    My father was never a JW, but a criminal on the run, with two kids to help him seem like a nice single dad. I didn't know that about him until i was almost 40. Anyway, he took us out of school. He bought lots of all kinds of books and we had to read on our own. He said it was because "taxes are immoral and the public schools supported by taxation are immoral."

Just read your earlier post in the thread and I'm imagining you as the child of Bonnie and Clyde. :D

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

The only articulate, socially adjusted adolescent in my congregation came into the Organization at the age of 17. The homeschooled children are awkward around strangers and barely literate. They only excell in video games.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit