If you had the means to kill a terrorist before he detonated would you ?

by Chook 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

Absolutely I would.

I walked into a shop this morning and saw that darling little eight year's face on the front of every newspaper. A fun night out to see her favourite pop idol and she and 22 others are blown to bits by an evil monster. Yes, given the chance I wouldn't think twice.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The good thing about this thread is that more and more people feel the same way as everyone on here.

They will join the army, defence forces, etc.

They'll be the ones who fly drones thousands of miles away and press the button, wiping out those cockroaches.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

I'd kill everyone in this world that has the intention to purposefully kill innocent people and follow through on it.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2
    A small wooden box arrives on the doorstep of a married couple, who know that opening it will grant them a million dollars and kill someone they don't know.
    (I'm sure it was "pressing the button" ... maybe that's the book version I read?)
    So they take the box apart and decide that it doesn't contain anything so can't really harm anyone, and they press the button.
    The creepy guy who left it returns, notes that they have pressed it (it's a test) and as he's leaving says "I'll give this box to someone else ... someone who doesn't know you"
    Yes, the person who dies is the previous owner of the box. If you refuse to press the button, you save yourself.
    Everyone fails the test.

The 80's "Twilight Zone" adaptation episode plays out like you describe. The original story is more darkly funny.

In the original short story, the plot is resolved differently. Norma presses the button, and receives the money—after her husband dies in a train incident where Arthur is pushed onto the tracks (the money was the no-fault insurance settlement, which is $50,000 instead of the $200,000 in the Twilight Zone episode). A despondent Norma asks the stranger why her husband was the one who was killed. The stranger replies, "Do you really think you knew your husband?"

Matheson strongly disapproved of the Twilight Zone version, especially the new ending, and used his pseudonym Logan Swanson for the teleplay.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I believe that such a situation would very much fall under the category of "Hobson's Choice"!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit