Before cutting my hair my witness barber had to check with Bethel...really? Not a cult?

by Witness 007 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I was balding and grey so I asked my witness barber friend to "just shave it all off" many brothers were doing the comb over which looked friggin stupid. But oh no in the 1990's this was rebellious he had to call a brother we knew at Bethel to see if it was ok. We got his ok to go ahead but at the time I could help thinking about the no beard rule and how controlled and cultish we were.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Your pulling our leg Witness 007,this is a joke eh ? what`s the punch line ?

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    how controlled and cultish we were.

That’s a rather bald assertion ... and true. 😉

• JoenB75
    JoenB75
    Older generations had very special attitudes to hair. It was a bit shameful to be bold and maybe they also thought it gave the publisher a rough look
  • dozy
    dozy

Some JWs will phone "Mother" for directions on anything. It is quite bizarre sometimes. As Ray Franz relates in his books , the Society has created a dependency culture where many JWs are simply incapable of making choices or decisions on their own , even on a quite simple level.

I remember a JW telling me he was thinking of buying a microwave ( this was about 35 years ago when they were still quite a novelty item ) and he had phoned Bethel to see if they were safe and "approved by the Society". The Bethelite told him that the kitchen there had a few so the JW was satisfied that they were OK.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Calling Bethel over a haircut? That is absolutely absurd! The guy had no backbone at all.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander
    Did your barber call Bethel to see which way to wipe his ass as well, and with which hand? Ridiculous in the extreme.
  • nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

True I knew a few brothers that were relieved when they got the green light to shave their heads. P.s. any elder will tell you how inundated they are with jdub's asking if one thing or another is ok

• tiki
    tiki

I recall a man with alopecia who came into the religion...probably in the 70's.....the elders had to meet and question and get input from the higher ups as to the appropriateness of allowing him to go in service ( okay so long as he kept a hat on) and if it was okay for him to sit anywhere but the back row at meetings.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit