Shooting in the foot (homophobic video)

by Syme 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Syme
    Syme

With the newly released homophobic video by the WTS, it gets clearer that those people can't stop shooting themselves in the foot. They are already under examination and de facto trial by the Australian Committee; more and more people and officials in Western democracies inquire into their abusive tactics and put them under the microscope, and what do they do? They release a video which confirms those worries.

It reminded me of a book about the Holocaust I read recently: when Hitler and his Nazi gang were losing the war, they didn't stop killing Jews, even though it was completely pointless (and damaging) in their war effort. Loads of trains packed with wounded German soldiers, stood on the ground to give way to the trains headed for Auschwitz and the rest of the death camps. Jews in the ghettos who were used as slave labor, were sent to death camps, even though that meant that whole factories which were used for the war would close down. The point being that their "ideology" and their fanaticism took the upper hand in their deeds and took priority over the practical goal of winning the war.

There's no analogy here of course; it just reminded me that the leaders of WT are so blinded by their own "ideology" (which includes, of course, homophobia), that they just can't stop posting such material, even when it's damaging to their supposed goal of winning converts, and even though they know it!

• stillin
    stillin

On the "Witness " level, the backlash from this video will probably be seen as positive because it helps people to sort out their own selves. I just read a well-written Witness response to one of the knee-jerk news articles about the video. People can believe what they want. The Witnesses believe that homosexuality is wrong. That's their prerogative. The video is NOT full of hatred, it's only a parent guiding their child toward the ideal.

The news article that I saw a response to was ill-informed and stated that the parent was telling the child that homosexuality will cause one to go to hell. The Witness response straightened that out. A witness was given! Win! Win!

However, it this PC world, not approving of something is frowned upon and stigmatized as ignorant.

• Syme
    Syme

No, they don't just believe that homosexuality is wrong. They preach that everyone who is homosexual will be killed at Armageddon. They conceal (or are ignorant of) the fact that homosexuality is NOT a choice, plus it appears in the rest of of nature (500 species), thus is not "unnatural", so one cannot just "change" to being straight in order to avoid being toasted in Armageddon. That is the definition of homophobic speech.

Of course, they answer that a homosexual could avoid being roasted in big A, as long as he doesn't practice homosexuality; which is like telling a straight that he must remain celibate all his life to avoid being executed. This is the definition of oppression.

So, we have homophobia plus oppression. If speaking against homophobia (and other forms of racism and hate speech) and oppression is "stigmatization" and "frowning upon", well...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The G.B and those who help them produce the videos and other garbage are so out of touch with Public Opinion that they have indeed shot themselves in the foot once again.

Long may they continue to do so, well, not long, but as long as it takes to bring about their demise.

This video proved to be the last straw for one couple who simply feel that it is so wrong they have posted their story on Facebook. They will not be alone.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

The G.B and those who help them produce the videos and other garbage are so out of touch with Public Opinion that they have indeed shot themselves in the foot once again.

I don't think the beliefs of JW's are influenced by public opinion otherwise they'd celebrated Birthdays and Christmas and they'd certainly never go from door to door.

That is the definition of homophobic speech.

I didn't see anything "phobic" about what was said in the video. It was a mother teaching her child what she feels is the correct way to understand what's going on when she has a classmate who's parents are gay. Nothing she said was anymore irrational than any of her other Bible based beliefs . The Mother believes that anyone who disobeys her understanding of Gods rules, will die at Armageddon which includes Heterosexuals who have sex before marriage or commit adultery while they are married.

To me being Phobic about something, you have to have an irrational fear of it to the point that it is interupting your daily activities. It used to be that to be called intolerant, phobic or bigoted, you had to actually do something mean or harmful to someone else or be behaving irrationally.  Now, if you dare to disagree with popular opinion out loud, you are branded ignorant and even said to be hateful.

Parent's will continue to pass their moral values onto their children (including JW's) and they should be free to do so whether I agree with them or not.

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming
    Could this video be a poke in the eye to the "superior authorities?" The video, though politically incorrect, may serve it's purpose in instigating the government to comment on the views and beliefs of these "honest-hearted" bible students. (loaded JW propaganda) Then, the GB can claim persecution from Satan and his world governments, unite the rank and file,and rally in the "great tribulation." Some may even "return to Jehover." We are so close brothers and sisters! We need to support God's organization. Give us your time and give us your money. 8,000,000 suckers waiting to be fleeced.
  • redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

With all the failed prophecies and flip-flop doctrines, the only thing they can do now is to thrive on their persecution-complex and wait for Armageddon to come "soon". Video's like these will only fasten Jah's work, although the outcome will be a huge deception to thinking JW's.

• Giordano
    Giordano

"The Mother believes that anyone who disobeys her understanding of Gods rules, will die at Armageddon which includes Heterosexuals who have sex before marriage or commit adultery while they are married.

To me being Phobic about something, you have to have an irrational fear of it to the point that it is interrupting your daily activities."

JW's are not so much phobic about gays as that about keeping Jehovah as your personal friend. That it is for many an almost daily concern that they or their family might be at risk of disappointing their god and suffering the ultimate loss. And by teaching their children to fear this outcome they have to point out what other people are doing that they consider grave sins.

The phobia raises it's head that her little girl must not be happy that her friend has two mothers. There can be no joy in being gay.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    To me being Phobic about something, you have to have an irrational fear of it to the point that it is interupting your daily activities. It used to be that to be called intolerant, phobic or bigoted, you had to actually do something mean or harmful to someone else or be behaving irrationally.

The witnesses black and white stance on homosexuality is extremely harmful to all the gay kids growing up in organisation. They are being told that their natural desire to love and to be loved is somehow evil. They are being told by their parents that they should never be in a relationship with someone whom they're attracted to because they're parents don't want them to die in the smoke and fire of armageddon which is "right around the corner".

It that's not an irrational fear - if that's not a phobia - I don't know what is.

• stillin
    stillin

I do concede that I really don't get it. If the Witness "platform" includes straight-only thinking, who cares? The kids that suppress their inherently homosexual tendencies because that's how they were raised will just have to get over it when they figure it out.big deal. We all sorted out and kept different things from our parents. Why should it be any different for the Witnesses?oh, that's right! This is an anti-witness forum so we are all supposed to jump on any bandwagon that seems to be anti-witness.

no, now, carrying "God hates fags" sighns around and picketing gay owned businesses etc. THAT's hatred of people. Less than that is simply disapproval.

I certainly agree that the methodology is creepy. Get them while they're young. Yeah, cartoons, songs and maybe clowns...yeah, creepy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit