Advice on family waking up to TTATT

by Jules Saturn 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

If you've been following my posts here, I am physically in and mentally out. It's so hard because I wish that my family could wake up just as easily as I did. The other day I had a conversation with a relative regarding whether they have come to terms with their own mortality and they replied that they try not to think about it too much but also said that it's possible that Armageddon would even happen long after they are gone, which I thought was a very interesting thought.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like what made me wake up easily was that I've always had little doubts here and there but this was stuff like me being unable to grasp the concept of how one could be anointed and how would you know if you were. Things like that, just very confusing to me; I was always asking questions. But see my family, they are satisfied with what they know, what they call "the Truth", even if it's half true or half false.

Personally my parents are in their 50's now and I can't help but question myself "Should I even try to help them wake up? This would rock their entire world, they've devoted the majority of their lives to these beliefs. Their social circle is this, this is their life. What good could I be doing if I were to tear that down? Could they even handle it properly that what they consider truth isn't entirely true?" Sometimes I honestly think it's better off that they don't because I don't know how they would handle it, I can imagine it must be very difficult, especially to be up in age. I mean imagine being 74 years old and waking up?

In the past I've made attempts to speak to them about many things like blood transfusions and the whole 587 vs 607, etc. But these discussions end in arguments, I don't want this to affect their health. Have any of you been successful at waking up any family members, including your parents? Are you someone who woke up a little later in life? How'd you react? Should I make further attempts at waking up my family members or should I just let it be?

My mother quotes Simon Peter from the Bible where he asks Jesus in John 6:68

“Lord, whom shall we go away to?+ You have sayings of everlasting life."

and it's that argument that really shows me what this really means to them. And it's sad because these are people I love and care about, my own parents, all my family members. And I believe firmly that with and without all the indoctrination, they are genuinely good hearted people with good intentions even though it may come off as wrong sometimes. Thoughts?

~Jules

Edit: I apologize for how long this had to be

• SummerAngel
    SummerAngel

I so relate to what you say I'm 100 per cent born again Christian so 110 per cent out. I left decades ago because it just didn't make sense. My family are still in. My parents are now well into old age and will probably die having spent almost their entire lives in it. I ever between what a total waste of life why can they not see it however if they ever did it would rock their life upside down. I dont know if I could handle waking up at 80 and realising I'd been living a lie.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry
    Personally my parents are in their 50's now and I can't help but question myself "Should I even try to help them wake up? This would rock their entire world, they've devoted the majority of their lives to these beliefs. Their social circle is this, this is their life. What good could I be doing if I were to tear that down? Could they even handle it properly that what they consider truth isn't entirely true?" Sometimes I honestly think it's better off that they don't because I don't know how they would handle it

Lots of variables - family, employment, retirement, making friends outside, etc.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/fear-cult-mind-control.php

In The True Believer,9 a book on mass movements, Eric Hoffer suggests at least a third of the population are "true believers." They are joiners and followers, people who want to give away their power, looking for answers, meaning, and enlightenment outside themselves. This type of person is "not intent on bolstering and advancing a cherished self, but are those craving to be rid of unwanted self." This type of person is "eternally incomplete and eternally insecure!" and can easily be transformed into fanatics who will gladly work and die for their holy cause whether politics, churches, businesses or social cause groups. Mass movements generally have a charismatic ruler, and a devil. This type of person is unlikely to be reading this site, they don't want to know. Neither am I convinced that this type of person should stop being a Jehovah's Witness. If they do they most likely will become involved in a similar organization that also uses manipulation to force its members into a prescribed way of life.

If they're better off out -

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/helping-someone-leave.php

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Ignorance is bliss. Let them come to terms with their choice of Christianity. You never know, they're still young enough to awaken and discover TTATT. At the moment, they need the org's "system of things."

• Giordano
    Giordano

You can't go wrong with Eric Hoffer. His writings in The True Believer, which doesn't mention the WTBTS, are classics. I first read him at 16 and came to distrust the WT Society. I pioneered and held congregational positions only because of my appreciation for the 'friends'. Eventually I came to understand that all of us held reckless beliefs that could effect our health and sanity.

Here are some quotes from his book The true Believer which was published in 1950. There is no mention of the JW's but so many statements apply to them.

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/17715-the-true-believer-thoughts-on-the-nature-of-mass-movements

As far as your concerns about your parents beliefs and no doubt dependence on the WT Society......I lived through the same experience....unfortunately unless they wake up on their own....... leaving the religion is almost impossible. I had to resign myself to my parents and siblings commitment to their beliefs. I had nothing to offer them other then independent thinking which was the last thing they wanted.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Giordano According to Eric Hoffer, "The atheist is a religious person. He believes in atheism as though it were a new religion.” [The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements].

I don't know... I'm kind of with Penn Jillette when he says "athiesm is a religion in the same way not collecting stamps is a hobby."

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It doesn't matter if it would tear them up to realize the truth about the organization, because the fact is that it is extremely unlikely that you would be able to wake them up. What seems obvious to you will not be so to people who have spent a life time being controlled and manipulated by the Watchtower.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What you ask is the RED PILL/BLUE PILL question.

I completely "woke up" (took the RED PILL) in my mid-50s. Sometimes I wonder if we would be better off to have just taken the Blue Pill and lived "happily ever after" in WT Bliss. That's exactly what we did for decades. We just ran on the JW Hamster Wheel, giving all our time, effort, energy, and plenty of money to WTS/JWs.

The awakening was not at my request. The Red Pill was actually forced on me, so I really had no choice in the matter. Events came to a head and exploded and I could no longer ignore my CD. It was too painful to ignore.

There is no going back.

I know that I certainly cannot determine which would be better for your parents/family. I even doubt if YOU can be certain about that decision.

Good luck!

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Jules Saturn - "...hey try not to think about it too much but also said that it's possible that Armageddon would even happen long after they are gone..."

That one's puttin' a lot of old-timers in a funk these days, I think.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I would recommend gauging your parents and whoever is still in. Gauging in the sense, just try to predict what would be the worst they would do if you became an apostate. Based on that, decide whether you should get along or at least be PIMO.

I did this in my life. My wife and mom are still JWs. Once I decided that they would not shun me, I wrote my letter of disassociation. My relationship with them continues as happy as Usual. No repercussions!

Very often I still try to plant seeds of doubt in them. It ends up in a heated argument for a few minutes and then love takes over..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit