Lurkers

by Freedom rocks 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Do you think elders and GB members monitor this site to catch people?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Why would you ask lurkers? They lurk for a reason. Also by definition “lurkers” dont post

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@Morpheus - The title is just the subject of the post, not necessarily who they are asking the question of. They just want to know if we think that elders and GB members monitor the site to catch people. There have actually been people that were reported based off of posts here, so when you post on a public forum anything can happen. You take your own cult life in your hands when you post here. Whether or not they actively watch things who can know, but anecdotally there have surely been people that were outed through any participation online.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Indeed. Antidotally. If memory serves, most of those are people who leave a browser open and someone sees and reports them. The odds of someone at bethel seeing a random post and identifying some publisher somewhere in the world are less than zero. The odds of a gb member “monitoring” this site are about the same as me farting rainbows.

I get it. I had the fear some years ago when i first posted. Its cult bullshit. Other than a family member seeing something and freaking out its basless.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

@dubstepped

Do you remember any details so I can try to locate any posts where someone describes being outed through revealing personal information here? Just wondering if it's actually been documented.

This is something that's crossed my mind before, and I even asked Simon to delete a post of mine that was only moderately revealing. The chances were negligible but it was mostly for my own peace of mind.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I know of one case in particular but I'm not able to disclose the details because it was relayed to me privately. I would imagine that it only happens if someone close to a person was looking and had lots of motivation to do so. I don't imagine that random elders are watching and we all know that the GB aren't. If you have someone pissed off at you that might use knowlege of your apostasy as leverage, I'm sure it *could* happen but would be very unlikely and take a very obsessed person to work out.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

So you and i agree

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

If the GB ever felt the need for some honest "feedback" regarding their performance they couldn't choose a better forum than this one. I suspect they do take a peek from time to time to get some idea of how they're perceived by those who know best. And who aren't afraid to "tell it like it is."

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

In any business it would be negligent stupidity not to monitor public opinion/press reports/media forums to see what your enemies/competitors were saying about you.

The WTBTS is first & foremost a business, and as such, you can bet your house on it that they will have assigned "spiritually mature brothers" to police sites such as this - all in the name of identifying copyright infringements no doubt.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Do you think elders and GB members monitor this site to catch people?

To me it's a waste of time to dwell on this. Free yourself from wondering about what they think or do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit