PROVE IT!

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It's as simple as some used to say that if you read it on the internet, it must be true.

Rub a Dub

• TD
    TD
    Just because the news media, the politicians, “science”, etc. say it is so, I say PROVE IT! I’m no longer going to take your word unless I get facts from both sides.

Well said, Min, and I completely agree.

Proof, unfortunately is very often predicated on a level of knowledge commensurate to the claim itself.

You cannot, for example, "prove" that the hypotenuse of a right triangle with legs of 3 and 4 is always going to be 5 to someone who cannot or will not accept that 9 and 16 make 25.

You cannot prove that the earth is round to someone who lacks basic spatial skills and at least an intermediate understanding of mathematics.

You cannot prove that the Greek verb, γινώσκω conveys a level of intimacy that's completely lost in the rendering, "taking in knowledge" to someone who is not familiar with Greek literature of the period.

Proof is not "proof" unless it's understood.

If I'm misunderstanding and this is an allusion to American politics, I honestly don't know who is telling the truth and who is not. I'd like to see some proof myself.

• Simon
    Simon
    You cannot prove that the earth is round to someone who lacks basic spatial skills and at least an intermediate understanding of mathematics.

Yeah, absolute truth is limited to fields involving pure logic and mathematic. Even then, it's possible to be contrary and point out that the Earth isn't round (as a sphere) but is spherical (i.e. it's not perfectly round, but "ish").

I'm reading Scott Adams new book "Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America" and he goes into how arguments and "proof" are usually portrayed and how to spot mis-information, using things such as climate change. It's well worth a read to improve your ability to be more discerning about whether you might be being told the truth or a lie about something, without having to be an expert in the field.

• minimus
    minimus

Jp, what a condescending remark.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Minimus, I’m sorry you took it that way. That wasn’t my intent.

There’s really no need to be defensive. My comment wasn’t meant to be anything but congratulatory. I was genuinely complimenting you.

Please keep going. Your progress is evident. I’ve been watching it for years now—about a decade in fact. 👍

• minimus
    minimus

Perhaps you’re so self absorbed that you don’t understand how you come across. Thank you so much for watching my progress unfold. Who are you? I’m glad I get your blessing. Geesh!

• jp1692
    jp1692

Perhaps.

• minimus
    minimus

Jp, that made me laugh.

• jp1692
    jp1692

I’m glad! 👍

• minimus
    minimus

Jp I do not think ur terrible. I do think u think you’re not as good as u think u r. I actually like u . I just think u r so full of ur self u can’t see it. Doesn’t make u a bad person just just someone not as woke as you think u r

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit