Working for a JW, and you get df'd, would you be fired ??? is it legal ?

by run dont walk 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I'm sure this must of happened at least once in 125 years, but what if .........

You are working for Brother A in his cleaning business (that's seems to be all JW's do) or any other business, and you get df'd lets say for immoral conduct or apostacy, would you be fired ??? and what legal course would you have ???

The freedom of rights must include discrimination against/for religion, just because someone leaves a religion does that give the right to the owner of the business to fire a person.

Any thoughts ????????

I was asked this question by someone.

• Sargon
    Sargon

Micheal,

You can make this guy pay. As a Canadian you have a right to go to ministry of Labour (it's provincial) and file a complaint for wrongful dismissal. You can't be canned on religious grounds. If he claimed your work was satisfactory and the only reason for your canning was to hire a pioneer; you have a strong case. Go for it!!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Didn't happen to me, but since the state of Texas is a "right to work state" - it's very difficult to prove that against any employer.

• happyout
    happyout

California is also a right to work state, BUT, depending on the reason they give for letting you go, you can successfully sue in some of these cases. I have a relative who is a lawyer, and she defends companies against these types of charges. She says the cases she usually settles or loses are those where the company either breaks their own written policy (like if their employee handbook has a termination process such as giving a warning, then a write up, then termination, and they don't follow it when they let you go) OR, simply by stating a reason they are terminating you. The best thing to do is get them to state a reason for your termination, then, depending on what they say, proceed from there.

Happyout

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

I used to work for an employment law attorney. I do know that the laws about discrimination, etc. apply ONLY to companies with 50 or more people. At least in Texas. We are an 'at-will' employment state. If you are fired, you are fired. It is VERY difficult to bring a case against your employer here, even if you are discriminated against.

I think you would have to check on your individual state's laws...

Q.

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

Oh, gee--sorry--I just noticed you're in Canada! I would still recommend talking to a lawyer. Usually you can find one that will at least give you a consultation for free...or you can check with your local employment bureau...

Q.

• Sargon
    Sargon

The beauty of being in Canada on matters like this is you DON'T have to waste money on lawyers in dealing with labour issues. The provincial ministry of labour will handle it with alot more clout than some expensive bottom feeder. My advice is to contact your local ministry office and have them look into it. Our labour laws in Ontario affect ALL companies, not just those with a certain number of employees.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here in Alberta, it is illegal. There was a fella in Alberta who appealed and won a case of religious discrimination (oops, I am sorry. I looked at the case, it was a case of sexual discrimintion at a religious organization). He was working for King's College (a Christian college), and came out of the closet. Here is a link I found on Workplace Harassment at first blush.

http://www.pao.gov.ab.ca/infocentre/working-in-govt/sexual-harassment/workplace-harassment.htm

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes even the right to work states have some protection. For example, unless u stole form him, u will most likely collect unemployment, for which he has to pay. If he is stupid enough to tell u the real reason, well not only can u get unemployment, but the work force should be able to help u with the discrimination laws. If he is smart, hel'l just not give much of a reason, and then u can go collect unemployment and find a regular job, not working for a bunch of jws.

• micheal
    micheal

But with my case nothing was in writing. Plus when push came to shove he would lie his ass out of it anyway. By the way he's an elder, pretty cool huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit