Anyone here like jogging?

by Elsewhere 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess
    My goal is to run a 5k race for my next birthday. I'll be 30 and I think that would be an awesome way to celebrate...

Excellent idea!

I get shin splints, too. I think stretching is a must...also, I'll take 1 Advil before I go, and that usually eliminates the problem.

stretching is a great idea, especially AFTER running when your muscles are warmed up. Be careful about taking advil/ibuprofen before exercising, it keeps your muscles from absorbing fluids and can cause all kinds of problems you don't want to deal with. Check with your doctor.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

There is a tribe of Indians in Mexico that produces an amazing number of great long distance runners, as the running is part of their culture. They run marathon distances barefoot, or wearing sandals made from cutting up used tires.

I recently perused a book on running by a well respected track coach, who advocates that you try running barefoot part of the time. It makes great sense, once you get past your Nike/Runners World developed preconceptions. Obviously, you won't be able to go far at first, but you'll train your feet and legs to hit right and stride (or you'll kill yourself!), and strengthen your feet. He made the point that the foot has an amazing amount of sprung energy to use with each stride, but you don't really get to use it if your shoes absorb everything.

*waits for someone to say this would be dangerous*

• riz
    riz

this would be dangerous.

• MrsQ
    MrsQ
    Be careful about taking advil/ibuprofen before exercising, it keeps your muscles from absorbing fluids and can cause all kinds of problems you don't want to deal with.

Thanks for the advice and info, Princess...I keep procrastinating seeing a doctor. I know...I know..

Q.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Hi, I just started myself, and it's great. I run on a track also. Got shin splints too. iNow I stretch after a light warm up and then stretch again afterwards. Wrapping an ace bandage around the problem leg helped also until it cleared up [about a week and a half].

Winston.

• cowhand
    cowhand

Used to run a lot in the 80's and early 90's - Marathons and ultra marathons as well as shorter distances.

If I was starting again I would do less road running, especially at marathon distance.

Otherwise they were the best days of my life. I made friendships then which have lasted ever since. Having at that time just left "the truth", they were valued all the more.

The downside? A dozen years of running at that intensity doesn't do much for the joints, so my knees are not what they once were. However, some of us by now have grown old together, so we walk while the others run.

It's not for everyone, but if it suits it's a great pastime, and as a means of getting the weight down and keeping it there it's unbeatable.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I setup a Dr's appointment for tomorrow morning... I'm guessing that she will refer me to a physical therapist who knows about running.

I don't feel the shin splints during the day at work... I run in the evening around sunset (Way too hot to run in the daytime here in Dallas). What happens is I will start to feel the pain after running for some time... then shortly after running it really starts to hurt. I end up waddling around my apartment like a duck. When I get home I'll take some ibuprofen and put some ice on my legs... even though this is working in the short term, I still want to make sure I'm not causing permanent damage... and I want to find a way to prevent the problem all together.

Regarding the shoes... I'll have to look around for a specialty shop... I want to make sure the sales rep really knows what they are talking about, as opposed to a minimum wage teenager at Foot Locker who can't even cure his acne.

Thanks for all the great input everyone! I didn't realize there were so many runners around here

• termite 35
    termite 35

I have been jogging for a couple of years now and I LOVE it!!!! it really clears my head and makes me feel great... Ive never had any probs- maybe because I run on grass-id never run on concrete-or tarmac-though it may be difficult for some to find a soft place to run... perhaps youve done too much too soon1 it s tempting- but not worth it- id just increase by 5 mins per week- hope you keep it up!

• sxybrwneyes
    sxybrwneyes

I love to run, especially along the beach, which is about 5 minutes from my house. The ocean air is so exhilirating. I run there almost every day.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Hard-core, fanatic runner, now forcibly retired:

Running on hard surfaces IS going to do damage, eventually. Our feet were not meant for such shock over prolonged periods. If your shins don't get it, hips, knees, or other parts will. Fact of life, I'm afraid. My feet took the brunt of the damage and I'm now, sadly, sidelined. Women are more prone to these kinds of injuries than men. Princess, you are lucky, but please think long-term and stay off hard surfaces as much as possible.

Track is great if the surface is soft, but try reversing direction. Tracks are slightly sloped and running in the same direction every time will cause uneven stress on one side or another.

Dirt or sand is more forgiving (although hard-packed sand can be worse than asphalt.) Concrete is terrible! Find a state park or other area of dirt/grass if possible. Good shoes, fitted by someone who is themselves a good runner, are a must. Don't go cheap, it will save you in the long-term.

Nothing, repeat NOTHING, is a substitute for running - not swimming, not biking, and certainly not treadmill. When you hit your "zone", it's like your feet aren't touching ground and you can go forever. I get a lump in my throat when I pass a runner along the road. I'd still be out there if my orthopedist hadn't used the word "amputation".

Wasa

Edited to add: Running barefoot - does anyone remember Zola Budd? Barefoot distance runner from - if I remember correctly - South Africa. I wouldn't recommend this. Human feet just cannot absorb the shock of pounding on surfaces that aren't dirt. Running can result in impact about 10x body weight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit