OK what is the deal with Smurfs?

by blownaway 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blownaway
    blownaway
    I heard the crap, Smurfs were magical evil creatures. I saw in the 80s kids parents get talked to because of the kids having one or PJs with smurfs on them but other than the urban meme where did this come from? Was there anything printed about it?
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I don't remember anything printed about it, but I do remember it being mentioned at a local assembly. I was a Smurf-loving kid when Smurf Gate happened. There were several "demons attacking JWs" stories floating around at the time, and the Smurfs was just one of them that really some traction.

My mom wouldn't let me watch Smurfs for a while, but, along with Scooby Doo, she finally wavered, as long as I kept it under wraps with our congregation friends. I think we had a lunch box or something with Smurfs on it. I don't think we got rid of it, but we didn't use it anymore.

My other friends in congregation were not so lucky. Several of them were forced to get rid of every trace of Smurf toys in their house. After stories circulated about Smurfs walking in to Kingdom Halls, and one about a Smurf keychain standing up and talking, one little kid in our congregation said his stuffed Smurf toy talked to her (or so the mother said). So, out the Smurf toy went, and the frenzy continued among the JW radicals.

Luckily, the only after-effect from the Smurf-Demons that I still suffer from is my favorite color being blue.

#ISurvivedSmurfGate

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

It was the first truly worldwide kids 'craze'....hence it attracted the attention of the fun police. Even as a kid I didn't believe their demon nonsense.

• caves
    caves

Wild_thing -My other friends in congregation were not so lucky. Several of them were forced to get rid of every trace of Smurf toys in their house. After stories circulated about Smurfs walking in to Kingdom Halls, and one about a Smurf keychain standing up and talking, one little kid in our congregation said his stuffed Smurf toy talked to her (or so the mother said). So, out the Smurf toy went, and the frenzy continued among the JW radicals.

I was one of those in the not so lucky 'jw Smurf paranoiac radical frenzy' households. But literally everything was considered demonic. Thats so traumatizing to a child and confusing, the way it played out in some jw homes. Nothing short of psychotic.

I had no toys. LOL.

When my son was little I spoiled him and bought him tons and tons of toys . I probably went overboard. I wanted to be the cool jw parent back then.

• snugglebunny
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you take the time to search the site, a very good description of the origin was posted here many years ago. It was something to do with Toys R Us.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Was there anything printed about it?

This is what blownaway is asking and so far no one has presented any evidence of it .

Was it just something that the r&f came up with on their own ? I doubt that .

I certainly remember that time period 70-80`s smurfs, backward masking,getting stuff from op-shops/second hand dealers, the Demons could get at you from all of this stuff .

Talk about being superstitious ,J.W`s. are the most superstitious people I know .

• caves
    caves

smiddy3 - Talk about being superstitious ,J.W`s. are the most superstitious people I know .

Yes they are. And they would damn near take a bullet trying to prove they are not. Good grief.lol

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I believe the Smurfs are real and that they regularly spend time with the Snorks.

Their village is just slightly out of phase with our dimension, so the chances of stumbling upon it are a million to one. Not only is the location unknown, but the exact conditions must be present to see it. Even then, modern humans would likely miss it, mistaking it for a large patch of mushrooms.

The Smurfs also spend about 25% of their time under the sea with the Snorks, so the chances of seeing a Smurf are further reduced.

DD

• JRK
    JRK

The urban legend runs amok in a cult!

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit