May 2019 Broadcast

by BourneIdentity 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• stumbledbyothers
    stumbledbyothers

so called Spiritual things cannot relate nor can fix that which is emotional and or the chemical.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Relying on joke-hova to relieve anxiety? That is the source of virtually all of it, and the barrier to prevent problems that create anxiety from being eliminated once for all. Once upon a time, we had psychic powers--that's gone, thanks to joke-hova. Once upon a time, we had excellent health, and we didn't need to work 18 hour days, 7 days a week to barely make a living. Because of joke-hova, we no longer have these conditions, and must work those long days (and that's under strict obedience to all formalities and rules under threat of not being allowed to work or live at all).

What we really need is to get rid of that thing, not rely on it to relieve the problems it caused. Relying on joke-hova makes about as much sense as relying on heroin to relieve the problems heroin itself created. No heroin, no problems. Likewise, no joke-hova, no problems.

• belogical
    belogical

I must admit when I stopped attending the meetings elders called and I asked a few questions which still have not been answered. I don't think they ever will.

over the last two years my anxiety levels have decreased markedly.

The more I read in this and other forums, the more I believe that Judge Rutherford only made one true statement during his leadership.

"religion is a snare and a raquet"

Oh well another day has passed and I'm still here.

• blondie
    blondie

belogical, when he said that the WTS position on religion that all religion was false, and that the WTS was not a religion. That changed quietly around 1950 when the WTS changed that to all other religions were false, and the WTS was the only true religion.

In context, I think his comment has a different slant to it.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I was exhibiting signs of PTSD in the final years of my JW-life.

Pregnant disfellowshipped wife with OCD while being pushed to do more for the org while being scrutinized for not being on the ministry enough while having no friends and no free time.

Anxiety dissappeared when I left the cult.

And my ex-wife's OCD significantly diminished when she left.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I have to agree with many of the comments here on this post about being a much happier person since I left the wt organization. From age 4 to age 64 I was sort of a true believer or better put, I was a 'goer alonger'. I didn't always 100% buy the wt explanations of some sh*t like, symbolic verses literal, chronological timetables, da flood, no birthdays, shunning, etc. but I 'went along' with it because it was expected. I usually did what was expected from a life long jw.

Since allowing myself the luxury of learning ttatt, OMG! The stress of just waking up everyday to the FOG of being a jw being gone makes life so much more worth living! Saturdays and Sundays are now days of the week that mean leisure not pressure. I';m sure that you all know what I'm talking about. And thanks to all of you for the help on this forum during my transition away from the wt.

just saying!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    1. Rely on Jehovah and take one day at a time
    2. Pour your heart out to Jehovah in earnest prayer
    3. Read and meditate on God's Word
    4. Share your feelings with a trusted friend

Items 1, 2, and 3 viewed from another perspective.

1. Rely on Spider-Man

2. Pour your hear out to Spider-Man in earnest prayer.

3. Read "The Amazing Spider-Man" and meditate on it.

No addressing #4 -

Share your feelings with a trusted Witness. Just kidding! There are no trusted Witnesses. They'll all rat you out to the elders and you risk being shunned.

• Half banana
    Half banana

At the root of the problem with anxiety and being a JW is the pressure which comes from holding mentally disturbing beliefs. A fundamental of the JW mindset is the false idea that God will destroy all 8 billion people who do not put in a field service report. A child brought up with this perverted view could easily end up unbalanced. To implacably hold on to beliefs for which there is no evidence or is contrary to evidence, is called a psychosis. To share psychotic beliefs is a reinforcement of them and an apparent validation of them.

Notice how the GB's solution to anxieties does not get to the root cause but instead keeps them going forward under the control of traditional JW remedies; living a day at a time, prayer and study and lastly unburdening with another fully committed true believer. The anxious JW remains dependent on the org as before with only the conviction that they are doing their bit as best they can. They are trapped and without any real help, the root causes are still in place.

I have to say that my permanent anxiety lifted from my shoulders on leaving the cult but it has to be considered that it is not always the case. For some there is a destabilising of an individual which is accompanied by more apprehensions in having to face the real world on their own and without the old social supports. Some turn to another religious faith and others go crazy-- but most I think feel greatly relieved and go on to enjoy life.

The basic position though is that the JW belief system is mentally unhealthy and life sapping.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I wish they would list # 8 :

8) Finding out the Watchtower Corporation is a blood sucking Mind Control cult and having to sit through meetings 3 or 4 a week full of corporation self serving bull shit to keep all your friends.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

An other thing is that Christian fundamentalism shrinks the brain (worry thought loops driven by guilt and a sin complex)a very good way to cause depression. Don't look to the Watchtower mind control cult to give any good ways to treat it that don't conflict with their self interest. They are a very self serving source of propaganda. They are after all Jehovah's earthly organ--izations and members need to suck it to keep him happy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit