"Why don't you just call yourself an atheist?"

by slimboyfat 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

"Why don't you just call yourself an atheist?"

Ok, I'm cool with that.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I won't call myself an atheist but I believe in your right to think I am.

Eden

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Also because he couldn't spell the word difference but insisted on differance.
  • talesin
    talesin
    He sounds like someone who is suffering from schizophrenia; somewhat delusional, he lives in a world of his own. It's apparent that he *has* a point, but utterly fails to impart any understanding of said point. He is intelligent, but his brain is misfiring (for lack of a better word). Not much of a philosopher. What is he offering? What question does he pose to the listener? What insights does he impart?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Because we live in a Derridean epoch. His thinking dominates our world like no other.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-xTc_Yrj-o4C&lpg=PA8&ots=vkWo57uXBV&dq=derridean%20epoch&pg=PA8&output=embed" width=500 height=500>

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

A philosopher's job is to raise questions, not answer them.

Something to keep in mind when listening to/reading their stuff.

• talesin
    talesin

BOC

If your comment is directed at me, then you didn't read mine. I was looking for questions, and insights, not answers. You may be interested to know that many philosophers try to answer questions (Shock!), such as Hume, and Emerson - lol, two personal favorites.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just to simply address the Thread Title, without getting in too deep, for a long time I avoided calling myself an Atheist, because like all labels, when you start to have one slapped on you, people assume things about you which are not true.

I now use the term about myself, but qualify it according to the how the "context" (Derrida would like that) demands it.

Whether people who have belief and faith are really partial Atheists does not interest me, they are intellectually dishonest in the main. (Dishonest with themselves I mean).

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    I don't like wearing any labels so while I don't believe in any gods or goddesses I don't except the label atheist because I'm a free thinker and don't want my thinking biased by a label which has a tendency to squeeze you into category. I feel such a label is unimportant and not necessary for me to except.
  • cofty
    cofty

It's ridiculous that anybody has to ID themselves with a label that specifies one particular superstition that they don't believe in.

We don't have labels for people who don't believe in unicorns.

I am a skeptic, a rational thinker, a humanist and much more. Not believing in deities is simply a corollary of that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit