Fire Over England.

by Englishman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I'm looking forward to my drive down to Southampton tomorrow.

I don't even eat bacon 'cos it's got red & white stripes.

Englishman.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Britain may blaze a trail into the record books this week with temperatures threatening to top the 37.1 degrees Celsius (98.8 Fahrenheit) all-time record high.

Man, you have cool summers, Eman! Here, it's a rare summer that doesn't have at least a few days around the 40 degree mark, even here, south of Sydney.

Just last week we had some of the coldest winter weather we've had for a long time; gald to see someone's having a warm time...

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    We have a mix of imperial and metric measurements - we have half heartedly adopted the european system.

Fortunately we converted properly back in the early 70s - only the oldies talk in miles and furlongs, etc.

• Simon
    Simon

We're still in Pounds, Shillings and Pence ... Guinneas and Groats

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

You Englishters!! It's mild here in Tx these days - 102 right now according to the weather channel.

Hottest I've ever seen was Needles Calif. working in construction - one day it hit 127. We would often go play golf when it was in the 115-120 range. Makes me think of the saying; "I know Hell is hot, but how's the humidity?"

• ballistic
    ballistic

Is it me or is it getting hotter as the night gets on here in England. Its almost clamy.

*of the poster without much clothing on class*

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well..yeah!

I'm not disputing that there are places far, far, hotter than the UK. However, what's interesting, is that the UK is on a similar latitude to Moscow. Now, we're normally considerably warmer than Moscow on account of the Gulf Stream. Pay attention there, please, as I will be asking questions about what exactly the Gulf Stream is!

But, seeing as how our best temperatures are normally in the 70's, you can appreciate how ill-equipped we are to be dealing with high temps such as we have right now.

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, we can;t deal with eather of any sort. 1 cm of snow and the country grinds to a halt.

Of course, the trains are in chaos ... it's too hot for them !

From the same rail company that can't run in winter (wrong sort of snow on the track) and autum (leaves) ... we're waiting to hear what their excuse for next spring is ("trains are crap heaps of junk and the drivers are on strike" probably)

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Englishman and Simon, please forgive me when I say in my most sarcastic voice: "AWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! Guess y'all will be eating waaahhh-burgers and cries for lunch then?"

Kiddin' with you of course.

Wow! I didn't know temperatures were normally so low in summertime there! What are your winters like? Here in Georgia you can expect mid-90's (F) to be the norm for the summertime, meaning sometimes from April until October.

BTW, would you mind explaining British currency? I''ve heard the terms so many times. Pound, pence, guinea, quid....

Mike.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I have a copy of the "International Herald Tribune" (one of my favorite newspapers BTW) for July 16 which carries a story on the hot days. I was very amused by this:

"High temperatures in Italy prompted the authorities to discuss declaring a state of emergency in the north."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I've noticed about Europe is that it's not equipped to handle heat. For example, buildings are not airconditioned, in fact, mostly they're heated and too much, so that it's hard to breathe. The other thing is that there is little provision of public seating to just have a rest. There are plenty of outdoor cafes with seating, but who wants to pay high prices for a drink in order to just sit down?

Anyway, youse lot, enjoy your summer! Hehe.

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit