"This is Where They Lived Happily Ever After Begins"

by The Bethelite 15 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Marriage sure ain't a guarantee of lifelong happiness, although it looks that way to a couple in love.

Reality sets in and , yes we change , but so what? You can either cry " failure, I made a mistake " or just accept the reality and get on with it. At times that can be a very hard choice ..... living up to your vow. Buu often it is the right one.

For me, marriage was unhappy for years as we struggled to live as dubs, but after my rejection of it and the initial trauma , things got better ( we stopped argueing about it ) Now in senior years we depend on each other and I have to say that she has been great.

So if you stick with it , it might get better, I am glad now that I stayed the course.

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

Great remarks for sure!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not down on marriage or even "falling in love" whatever that means?

Because I have been "in love" 5 times and married once in my 70 years on the planet.

All I'm saying is nothing stays the same, especially relationships.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I've been in love a few times and l was married for 27 years. Apparently apes are not naturally monogamous. It's true relationships don't stay the same and marriage can be hard work. I may be lazy now but I just don't want to work that hard anymore.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The dub model, lack of education, sexual frustration and curiosity followed by early marriage and poverty is not a good route to marital bliss. If you survive that and the gradual awakening to TTATT then you have something to be cherished.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Human evolved to thrive well in a community, but not necessarily with a life-long mate. This idea of marriage is invention of men through religious ethics. Most other species get together to procreate and perhaps live together for a period of time and them move on to other things. For males this is especially problematic because we are wired to procreate with as many females as possible to extend the species.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

in earlier times husbands went off to fight in wars--got killed and the widows married someone else.

or

wives got pregnant: many died in childbirth so the widower would marry again. so the average lifespan of a marriage was probably a lot less than nowadays.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit