Stepping out of the shadows

by contramundum 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

Welcome contra, great to have you here.

I woke up last year after over 22 years a zealous jw, it's a painful process. I think most of us had doubts and niggles the whole time but it takes something painful or shocking for us to finally listen to those doubts and research them independently. Congratulations on your strong mind.

Like most here, I gave up so many opportunities for the 'truth' and it turned out to be 'BS', it's hard not to feel bitter at what might have been, but it's not helpful, best now to enjoy life and look forward. For a start enjoy the free time when you skip meetings and service and do what you want to do for a change!

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Work and family situations are going well so I tend to speak about that rather than spiritual matters. I want my friends to realise that true happiness and success isn't dependent on abject devotion to WT.

This is in fact how I feel as well. I woke up around 3 yrs ago and it has been a very difficult process up until last year, Ive realized, Ive been deceive by a movement that is larger then my immediate circle of friends and congregation, so I hold no animosity towards them. I gave them my life and offered them my family's life for a utopian fantasy. Because of obligation and guilt I'm complicit in spreading their deception.

I stops here, its stops now. I don't answer their calls, I don't return texts and I don't let them interrogate me in any way shape or form. I stand my ground as graciously as possible and respond with everything is fantastic even if its not. I now devote my time and energy to my family and my business and making this world a better place than I found it. I enjoy every day for the miracle it is and take nothing for granted.

Welcome to the forum take your shoes off and relax

MC

• James Jack
    James Jack

Welcome,

Would also like to hear more of your stories with the ORG and any responsibilities you may have had.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe
    Welcome!
  • contramundum
    contramundum

Wow! Thanks for all your responses and interest. Where do I start to explain more?

@ Stan livedeath: I'm a woman living in Britain. Followed avidly every single day of Aus Royal Commission and was saddened to realise that these men just don't seem to have the capacity to understand that current WT procedures for dealing with child abuse issues are archaic, ineffective and plain harmful to the victims. I was also utterly shocked to learn about WT's membership of the UN for 10 years and subsequent backtracking, attempted deception and lies when exposed. (among other things , but I'd take up far too much space if I listed every contradiction I have since found)

@katewild: I left my 'JW' husband for scriptural reasons , which I'd rather not go into. My daughter hasn't attended meetings since around that time and my son is more and more reluctant. So no opposition from them.

I am grateful for all of your suggestions on how to handle questions from friends. Luckily I recently moved offices at work and now travel to a different town, plus I work 5 days a week and I think most of my friends assume that my job, along with caring for the responsibilities of home and children, wear me out and that this is the reason for missing meetings more frequently. I am happy to let them believe this if it prevents me feeling obliged to answer uncomfortable questions. Otherwise, I am perfecting the art of vagueness and indirect responses which leave people none the wiser

• millie210
    millie210
    Hi Contra and a warm welcome to you!
  • ssn587
    ssn587
    Contramundum tell those that ask via text are you sick tell them yes. You don't have to explain your sickness is jdub related.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@contramundum.

heres a link to many other UK members:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/197364/ex-jw-uk?page=1&size=20

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit