Which WT book (or booklet) has illustrations of prehistoric animals?

by Disillusioned JW 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I remember that I once saw a WT book (or maybe a booklet) which in depicting one or two of the creative days of Genesis had illustrations depicting now extinct prehistoric animals. Which publication was that? I think the illustrations were of a 1950s or 1960s style.

Update: I found it. It is the book from 1953 called New Heavens And A New Earth, in chapter 3.

• hoser
    hoser

Didn’t the green bible have a picture of a dinosaur on the inside of the cover?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Didn’t the green bible have a picture of a dinosaur on the inside of the cover?

I think so. I believe that dinosaur drowning in Noah's flood

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

...in chapter 3.

Actually make that ch 4, pp 57 and 60.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Yes the Green covered Bibles (the 1961, 1963, and 1970 edition regular size ones) have a dinosaur on the inside front cover, as do the black softcover and maroon softcover Bibles (including leather ones) revised in 1961 and 1970.

Not all dinosaurs are extinct. Scientists now classify birds as avian dinosaurs.

And, the Bible says Noah brought birds onto the ark, thus according to Bible (when combined with modern evolutionary paleontology) says Noah preserved some dinosaurs. Ha ha.

In a sense young Earth creationists are right when they say that dinosaurs walked among people, since birds walk among people today and scientists now say birds are avian dinosaurs.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Also the Paradise Lost book.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

You are right! The inside front end sheet of the Paradise Lost book shows a dinosaur and the inside front cover shows a an aquatic dinosaur-like reptile (a plesiosaur?) and flying reptile (a pterosaur?)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

All these books were published within a few years of each other. An artist at bethel at the time must have really liked dinosaurs.

Is anything known about the names of Watchtower artists over the years and their various styles?

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

You are right, it was in chapter 4 on pages 57 and 60 - not in chapter 3.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Yesterday when at my mom's house I looked in her copy of ' "The Truth Shall Make You Free" ' from 1943 and noticed in its chapter about the Earthly creation (in chapter 3 I think) that it also has illustrations of prehistoric animals (and of prehistoric plants).

The WT illustrations (in the old WT books) which depict extinct prehistoric animals and plants during prehuman times, are more scientifically accurate then the more recent WT books which depict modern species of animals as existing during the 5th and 6th creative days of Genesis.

Sadly I notice that the domain of www.strictlygenteel.co.uk (which had copies of old WT literature in it) has been suspended (as of at least two weeks ago). I hope the WT didn't shut it down. If the WT did shut it down it probably means they were noticing me directing attention on the https://www.jehovahs-witness.com site to the old books at www.strictlygenteel.co.uk and to me making quotes from those old books. However, I thought the person who operated www.strictlygenteel.co.uk had permission from the WT. I also thought most, if not all, of the literature which was on that site is in the public domain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit