237,000 illegal migrants in the last 5 months... is it time to intervene?

by silentbuddha 31 Replies latest social current

• waton
    waton

The wall was an election metaphor to do just that: wall it, with we want, whatever works.

Canada is using a 1 foot deep ditch!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Many of th ese individuals caught at the border a tree e realised into the population straightaway. Others are held for periods of time and then also released. Some are actually deported, others just disappear.

Nonsense. Stop making shit up. Some are caught and deported, and some are not (they should be).

• blondie
    blondie

Ditto, Wasanelder, my sentiments exactly, please direct us to the sources of your stats (links please). Thanks.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Wait, what do you think I am making up? Please let me know

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

"

CBP says system at breaking point with more than 76,000 migrants illegally crossing or inadmissible last month"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.html
    "In the 2018 fiscal year, they reached 396,579. For the first five months of the current fiscal year, 268,044 have been apprehended."
    "Since fiscal year (FY) 2016, more than 107,000 UACs have been released into the interior of the United States. 2,895 UACs were released into the U.S. in February 2018 alone, bringing the total for FY 2018 thus far to 13,186. Once released, most UACs remain here by failing to either show up for court hearings or comply with removal orders. As a result, only 3.5 percent of UACs who are apprehended are eventually removed from the U.S. The surge of UACs entering and remaining in the U.S. is in addition to the more than 167,000 Family Units which were apprehended between FY 2016 and February 2018."

"According to Justice Department data from the last five available years, around 60 to 75 percent of non-detained migrants have attended their immigration court proceedings. That’s determined by subtracting the percentage of judgments entered against migrants in their absence (known as an in absentia ruling) from total judgments entered. .... Around 60-75 percent of non-detained migrants have attended their immigration court proceedings, according to Justice Department data from the last five available years. Some limited data suggests rates may be higher for asylum-seekers.

That said, it’s important to note that in absolute terms, a significant number of migrants have had in absentia deportation orders filed against them for failure to appear in court, which Blitzer’s statement overlooks."
  • careful
    careful

silentbuddha, wasnanelder, blondie,

I read the same story with the same stats in today's USA Today newspaper (print edition).

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

It's as if the term catch and release has never been heard of. In my own community I can personally show you people who were stopped at the border and were released... then proceeded to join their family here...

Do you think these kids dont go to school? Do you think they are not using resources?

• blondie
    blondie

So careful do you have the link to that so I can check their sources.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Blondie, are you looking for links to where the justice department, the white house, cnn and politifact got their information?

• WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

Yes immigration needs to be fixed.

But don't freak out, its at historic lows.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit