Heroes

by done4good 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Too often individuals do something noteworthy but then start banging their own drum in attention getting behavior that to my mind detracts from the great good they do.

Yes this is often true. The ones who do the most for us we can't remember their names. There's a guy who makes artificial limbs for ex-service men and women plus civilians who have lost limbs from land mines. He recycles plastic bottles to make the limbs. Amazing guy, saw a documentary about him, but nobody knows his name.

There's another guy who invented a syringe that collapses after one use so that in under developed countries where people used to steal the syringes from medic's sharps bins for drug use they can no longer use them. It is helping prevent the spread of AIDS through sharing syringes. Again I don't remember his name.

• done4good
    done4good

Great comments everyone. Many people mentioned are a good deal more altruistic and perhaps better role models in some ways than the examples I given, which is good to see. I drew mine from a more introspective look at how/who influenced me personally, but all is good.

The way I look at this is, humans are all we have to draw any sentient influence from. Oubliette hit the nail on the head with respect to authoritarian groups not approving of such, since they don't want any person or concept threatening their influence. This is the real reason the WT labels such as "creature worship".

Wasa/Rebel8 - Jimmy Carter was a very underrated and under-appreciated president.

d4g

• LAWHFol
    LAWHFol

Jesus Christ - Pacifist

Thomas Paine - Visionary

Leo Tolstoy - Christian

Mahatma Gandhi - Truth Seeker

Isaac Newton - Righteous Man

Hillel the Elder - Jew

Chris Mccandless - Adventurer

Henry David Thoreau - Hindu

Edward Dunlap - Jehovah's Witness

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

LAWHFol, you beat me to it on Thomas Paine.

Thomas Paine who was the intellectual spark that started the American Revolution. He also wrote The Age of Reason in which he shredded the Bible and religion in general which did not make him one bit popular.

Raymond Franz (I must have missed it - did anyone mention him so far?). Like Thomas Paine he had integrity.

Gandhi even though I'm not a pacifist.

Captain Kirk. Okay, I know he's not real.

Mikhail Bakunin. Though I don't believe everything he said he was a great political theoretician.

Scott Olsen who quietly and meekly stood in front of a phalanx of riot police armed with shields and gear at the occupy Fresno protest. He got deliberately shot in the head with a tear gas canister with the psychopath who shot it firing another one when some protestors came to his assistance.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Original thinkers:

Voltaire, Benedict Spinoza, F. Nietzsche, Francis Bacon, R. Descartes, Leonardo Da Vinci, A. Einstein, I. Newton, Pythagoras, Socrates, Lucretius, Alan Turing. I am sure I am missing many, these are the one that came to mind first.

Humanitarians: Albert Schweitzer, Gandhi, King Leonidas

Great leaders and politicians: Abraham Lincoln, Caesar Augustus, Alexander the Great, King Cyrus, Winston Churchill.

Group of people/nation state/city state: the classical Greeks of 5th century Athens

• tornapart
    tornapart

My hero has to be Ray Franz.. if it wasn't for him I'd still be trapped in a cult and not realised it...

Oh.. and Simon for giving us this forum

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

How about the Einstein Zillard refrigerator?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Socrates

Rene Descartes

Benjamin Franklin

Abraham Lincoln

Jabir Ibn Hayyan

Many others but I enjoyed reading the life of Franklin and his contemporaries. I

• done4good
    done4good

Lots of good additions here...I particularly would agree with Voltaire and Paine.

d4g

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    The biggest hero I can think of would be Joe the Crow. A very wise bird!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit