Good News Covid vaccine on the way !

by RickJones 24 Replies latest social current

• RickJones
    RickJones

Latest news announcement is that there are two companies that have developed a vaccine for the Covid virus which they say they will start being distributing to the public in a matter of weeks.

One comes from a company called Moderna (94.5% effective) and the other is from Pfizer (90% effective)

If all things go to plan you could see things return to normal once the majority of the general public is vaccinated by Easter of next year.

Yoo Hoo

• Funky
    Funky

I hope you're right, but...

If all things go to plan

Those words are carrying a pretty hefty weight.

• RickJones
    RickJones

Why so doubtful Funky ?

• RickJones
    RickJones

Local governments have set aside funds for paying for these vaccines and are going to assist manufacturing them, including their distribution.

The light is starting to be seen on the horizon

• Funky
    Funky
    Why so doubtful Funky ?

I am hopeful but also aware that typically vaccine development does not meet with rapid success in the majority of cases.

Typical vaccine development takes on the order of 5-10 years. Obviously there is tremendous incentive to do this one more quickly, but on the other hand, this virus wasn't even known about a year ago, and it most likely isn't done mutating yet.

I hope to [deity of your choice] your optimism is well-founded - but there are still significant hurdles.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

A vaccine is good news but, frankly, the problem I have is the UK government locking down the whole of the UK again. This is the equivalent of a surgeon performing microsurgery with a 14lb lump hammer.

COVID is lethal to the elderly, those who are obese, those who have diabetes, and other vulnerable groups.

Generally speaking, it isn't lethal to healthy people.

We're dealing with this virus all wrong.

The vulnerable groups should isolate; everyone else should be going to work or school, living their lives as normal as possible.

(Sweden has had no lockdowns and no compulsive wearing of masks at all, and Sweden is still doing ok.)

• Funky
    Funky
    slCOVID is lethal to the elderly, those who are obese, those who have diabetes, and other vulnerable groups.

That's well over 50% of the US population.

In 2019, about 16.5 percent of the American population was 65 years old or over

https://www.statista.com/statistics/457822/share-of-old-age-population-in-the-total-us-population/#:~:text=In%202019%2C%20about%2016.5%20percent,reach%2022%20percent%20by%202050.

https://www.diabetes.org/resources/statistics/statistics-about-diabetes#:

In 2018, 34.2 million Americans, or 10.5% of the population, had diabetes.

https://www.tfah.org/report-details/state-of-obesity-2020/#:~:text=The%20U.S.%20adult%20obesity%20rate%20stands%20at%2042.4%20percent%2C%20the,by%2026%20percent%20since%202008.

The U.S. adult obesity rate stands at 42.4 percent
    The vulnerable groups should isolate; everyone else should be going to work or school, living their lives as normal as possible.

Obviously there is quite a bit of overlap; there are obese elderly diabetics. But even so....

How exactly does it work that 50-60% of the population "isolates" and everyone else "lives a normal life"?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

How exactly does it work that 50-60% of the population "isolates" and everyone else "lives a normal life"? - the vulnerable groups isolate or wear face masks or socially-distance themselves; everyone else kinda lives their lives - goes to work, school, anywhere they want.

C'mon, it ain't rocket science …

• just fine
    just fine

It’s a scary time when the government thinks it can tell you what to do in your own home. In public....... sure. In my own home nope, nada, no.

I hope the vaccine works as well in real world applications as it has in the trial.

• Funky
    Funky

50-60% isolate? Where? Concentration camps?

Obese people, the elderly, and diabetics live where other people who are theoretically immune or not gravely affected (in your view) live also.

Spell it out to me like I'm 5 years old....

How do you get 50-60% of the population isolated? Where? Who feeds them? Who does the jobs that they do, that they will have to abandon while they "isolate"? Who pays their rent? Who drives them to the doctor?

It's very easy to say "oh those guys should isolate"...but how does it work in real life?

50-60% of the US population is like 170 million people...how do you get that number "isolated"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit