How Are Ex Elders Treated In The Congregation?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Are they pretty much left alone? Are they respected for their having been elders at one time? Are they treated like crap?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

A close friend of ours was removed as an Elder a few years ago. He definitely was treated differently. He admitted it. He is now back in and all is well in Watchtower land.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

My experience:

The other elders definitely didn't want to have much to do with me. A few of the younger ones or ones that were appointed after I stepped down still chat with me and make occasional jokes about me being an elder again.

COs - I haven't spoken to a CO since I stepped down about 10 years or so ago. LOL - they literally don't even say hello and just walk right by!

Congregation - The folks that I used to be friendly with still speak with me. The biggest difference is the lack of social invitations. We maybe get invited to 1 or 2 things a year when I know there are folks getting together quite often. But, in their defense, often those impromptu plans are made at meetings and service which we really aren't at. So, out of sight out of mind. And once that pattern emerges, they don't even think about us anymore.

By the way, I haven't commented in years, don't sing, etc. I'm sure everyone notices and silence is the best result at this point. At some point, I will quit going altogether but there are some reasons why that doesn't work to my benefit at the moment.

• Londo111
    Londo111

What? You don't sing David Splane's MASTERPIECES?

• waton
    waton
    What? You don't sing David Splane's MASTERPIECES?

shame, he has a grade 5 Royal (all anointed are royalty) Conservatory Certificate, that is half way up to the perfect 10.

Elders do not like former Elders, because the latter know all the goodies, and first stones have been thrown.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

When they announced I had resigned, "Stepped down" I had a brother ask if he could still talk to me. Such is the power of the platform and announcements. I said, "Of course!"

People were concerned and I think the elders thought it set a bad example for others "reaching out". As if I gave them permission to quit when it became too much for them. Yep, pretty much.

• freddo
    freddo

With any or all of .. suspicion, jealousy, bewilderment, concern, disdain, pity or fear.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Ex elders, yeah, poor bastards.

As far as I can tell...

No gold watch.

No redundancy package or pension.

No "thanks for all your hard work" party.

No consulting with on past cases or assignments.

Just "give back your elder book and any keys."

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

I prefer the honesty of such elders who step down, compared to the sham of those who should be removed but are not. We had a few elders step down over the years. All were very down to earth men and gave of themselves to help others, never seeking recognition for doing so either....

• steve2
    steve2

Part of the negativity towards elders who step down (in contrast to those who are "deleted") is because it means the remaining elders are left to now do more of the hard, unrewarding slog - so they really are in no frame of mind to wish well those who step down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit