All I need is my motorcycle. Do you ride?

by wannabefree 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I began riding motorcycles in my early teens. My 1979 Honda XL500s became my best friend. I had a few teenage neighbors and school friends that rode too. Other than winter, whenever we could, we'd be off somewhere on our bikes.

Then came the double life leading JW girlfriend my senior year. I still rode my motorcycle, but ... I had a girlfriend! Everything else faded into the background.

.... Skipping the snare into the cult portion ...

When studying to become a JW, my instructor convinced me that riding a motorcycle wasn't in harmony with being a friend of God. Motorcycle riding is dangerous. You are willingly risking your life in a way that isn't necessary, showing Jehovah that you really don't have a deep appreciation for the gift of life and the value he put on it by offering his son.

So ... I sold my motorcycles.

Over the years I would meet different brothers that had street bikes and dirt bikes. In my mind of course, they must be spiritually weak.

I remember one year at a convention in Green Bay, WI (go Packers), there was a missionary sister visiting and giving her experience serving in South America. The main thing I remember was that her form of transportation was a motorcycle. A MOTORCYCLE! Certainly she wasn't spiritually weak! What a conforming idiot I was! Of course, as time goes on you learn that, different areas, different congregations, have their own personalities and rules.

Point is ... Finally! Last year I bought myself a motorcycle.

Suzuki Boulevard M50.

I love my motorcycle. My JW wife won't go for a ride with me. Not even around the block. That's okay, I really don't want her to.

Yesterday I installed a windshield and I'm about to set out on a small ride and enjoy the scenery.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

60 years. Everything from WLs to Honda 50s. Traffic is too bad now.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

Nice bike

Late 70s & early 80s had bikes GT 250 two stroke , used for work and fun ,was veiwed as inappropriate as you couldn't use it for ministry etc ,got a car and then was a free taxi service for the ministry, then maybe 10 or more years later some of those elders who were giving me a hard time for having a bike got one for a Saturday afternoon run,and when I asked them why it's ok now but not years ago as a single man they wouldn't answer me.

Recently got myself a royal Enfield Himalayan enjoy going out especially on a Sunday morning.

Beneficial for your mental health riding a motorcycle.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Used to ride 1970's Nortons and Triumphs, haven't owned or ridden one for years now.

They can be both fun and dangerous.

I probably wont return riding one on the road, I think I've gotten it out my system.

• hoser
    hoser

There are a lot of a hole elders out there. I think you had the bad luck to get one as your bible teacher. As I started reading your story I couldn’t help but think about places where people are too poor to buy a car but then you got to it.

The elder that studied with me quit college because his teacher told him it was dangerous. These guys have a powerful influence on young people.

Anyway, I’m happy you’re getting back into riding and have fun.

• Overrated
    Overrated
    I thinking of a Can Am as my mid life crisis vehicle. Which the wife would approve of all the safety. It's safe and cheap to operate. All pluses.
  • St George of England
    St George of England

Always had a bike of some sort. No one has ever suggested it was not done for a JW. i cannot reveal my current bike as it would ID me but I know of local elders with a BUSA, ZX10r, Suzuki Bandit 1200, BMW 1200 GS. All a lot more powerful than my modest machine.

Advancing age and health issues mean I get out less than I would like but I have non-JW biker friends which keep me sane.

George

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

This is the 1984 H-D FLTC that I loved until an 80 some year old man ran a stop sign and totaled the bike. Fortunately, I was not seriously injured. All the chrome was custom engraved and the paint was a Corvette Red. It had a Mikuni carburetor and it would really haul ass. I haven't been on two wheels since. That was in 2003 only 3 blocks from my home. All the chrome was custom engraved and the paint was a

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Thanks for sharing your experiences and pics.

Nice bike HappyDad. Glad you made it without serious injuries.

It's crazy how controlling the religion can be in different ways. Especially how local congregation elders can run with and add to restrictions.

Keep the pictures coming.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

CBR600F, Suzuki GSXR600, Harley Davidson Nightster 1200....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit