Psychological Changes in the Vocabulary of the WTS

by blondie 19 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Good and necessary counsel to elders , even today...

"Do not make unnecessary rules. If elders make unnecessary rules, they will create a burden for others. Brother Juraj Kaminský recalled what took place during the ban in former Czechoslovakia: “After the responsible brothers and many elders were arrested, some of those taking the lead in congregations and circuits began prescribing rules of conduct for the publishers, making lists of dos and don’ts.” Jehovah has not given us authority to make personal decisions for others. Someone who makes needless rules is not protecting his brother’s safety​—he is trying to become the master of his brother’s faith.​"

White shirts only, beards, their choice of music, haircuts, skirt length etc etc.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@BB

Could you provide the reference info on the quotation? It is either evidence of hypocrisy, blindness or both.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Funny how you have to be out for a bit before you realize just how manipulative the WTS’s stuff really is.

• blondie
    blondie

Sorry, I forgot the the starred ***link to the wt study for last Sunday. This implies that there are necessary rules. The link directly below is from 1982 and is quite comprehensive about rules.

1) Rules necessary for proper order in individual congregations, selected by the BOE, that is why mustaches may be allowed is some congregations and not others.

2) Organizational rules for life in Bethel, not necessarily applicable in the general congregation (rules within a family for example can be set by the family head, the WTS that Bethelites are a family in that case)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1982527?q=rules+order&p=par

Some rules are specifically for the congregation’s good. For instance, in the past some Christians could speak in tongues. Paul directed that only two or three of them speak on an occasion, that they take turns, and that a translator be present​—rules that promoted peace and order. (1 Corinthians 14:26-33) Similarly, the elders of a congregation today might provide directions about keeping Kingdom Hall exits clear, not saving seats needlessly, or parking vehicles with consideration for neighbors and safety. Such congregational rules are not unscriptural for they have the same purpose (peace and good order) as did Paul’s advice about tongues. Related to this is the Biblical advice: “Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you.” (Hebrews 13:17) Since our avoiding sins such as lying or stealing involves obedience to God, this text must refer to our obeying the elders’ guidance in congregational matters. Nor is it difficult to do so if they are not legislatively “lording it over those who are God’s inheritance.”​—1 Peter 5:3.

***https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-study-july-2019/worship-jehovah-when-under-ban/

18. Why must we avoid making unnecessary rules?

18 Do not make unnecessary rules. If elders make unnecessary rules, they will create a burden for others. Brother Juraj Kaminský recalled what took place during the ban in former Czechoslovakia: “After the responsible brothers and many elders were arrested, some of those taking the lead in congregations and circuits began prescribing rules of conduct for the publishers, making lists of dos and don’ts.” Jehovah has not given us authority to make personal decisions for others. Someone who makes needless rules is not protecting his brother’s safety​—he is trying to become the master of his brother’s faith.​—2 Cor. 1:24.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

@ Vanderhoven7

*** w19 July p. 13 par. 18 Keep Worshipping Jehovah When Under Ban ***

Do not make unnecessary rules. If elders make unnecessary rules, they will create a burden for others. Brother Juraj Kaminský recalled what took place during the ban in former Czechoslovakia: “After the responsible brothers and many elders were arrested, some of those taking the lead in congregations and circuits began prescribing rules of conduct for the publishers, making lists of dos and don’ts.” Jehovah has not given us authority to make personal decisions for others. Someone who makes needless rules is not protecting his brother’s safety—he is trying to become the master of his brother’s faith.—2 Cor. 1:24.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Keep it your resolve not to ignore the aha moments, the contradictions and hypocrisies thinking you have to wait until the boat catches fire before you jump ".

Very quotable Blondie!! Making a note of this one. Thank you, it's a particularly pernicious watchtower edition.

Love the Noam Chomsky quote, too, Sparky1 very pertinent.

• blondie
    blondie

@Diogenesister

Yes, that was my thinking on the day I quietly left the circuit assembly mid morning on a Sunday. I told my husband I was going to sit in the car waiting until he was ready to go home.

He waited until the break, gathered up our stuff, and then we went home.

He still had to make a quiet fade, but 6 weeks later he came home and told me that was that last jw event he would ever attend.

Twenty years later, that is still true, and will be until each of us passes on to whatever lies beyond if it exists.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thank you FJ.

• RayoFlight2014
    RayoFlight2014

Thanks blondie for your analysis.

I appreciate how much effort, time and thought you put into your topics.

It is happyfying that we have such wise ones on the forum to highlight the hypocrisy and manipulation that could otherwise go unnoticed.

Cheers.

RayoFlight2014.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    Do they password protect their computer? How many KHs use 1914 as a password to get into their KH?

How many use 1914 as a password 4 cc/debit cards?

'A Memorial Service will be held for Nancy on Saturday, February 17, 2024 at 3:00 p.m., at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, 2885 Hann Hill Road, Hermitage, PA 16148.

Arrangements have also been made for the service to be broadcast on Zoom with meeting ID: 696 740 745 and the password 1914.'

https://www.wkbn.com/my-valley-tributes/sample-odonnell-funeral-home/nancy-ann-hetrick-sharon-pa/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit