Is this a new practice?

by Visitor1984 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Visitor1984
    Visitor1984

My husband and I recently moved back to our hometown so we are back on the radar for the elders. We have been happily inactive the last few years. The other day a brother, who was once friends with my husband, and a substitute circuit overseer stopped in my husband's work for a shepherding visit if they still call it that. The former friend was told the location of the workplace by my husband's mother.

We do not own this business. It is a corporate office for a business of over 50 employees. When did it become acceptable to go to one's workplace and engage in a half hour conversation with your tablet in hand discussing scriptures?

I have struggled with wanting to write a letter to this substitute tablet holding wannabe CO. However, I think in the long run it's more effective to continue to let him make a fool of himself.

So my question is, are they encouraging workplace visits at the meetings? Has common sense completely left their brainwashed minds?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Not heard of this as an official tactic. I think it's just over zealousness on the part of the friend and a substitute overseer. They were probably on a mutual mission to outdo each other's display of going the extra mile to try and reactivate someone.

Just wondering why your husband didn't just thank them for their concern but remind them it was his place of work and he was busy. Was he just being polite and non-confrontational?

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Don't know your history but mine goes effectively back to the 1960s where it was known as "business territory"

You're suggesting it's used as well for shepherding calls, not surprising,

:0)

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Yes - just to clarify my post - making a deliberate call to someone at their workplace to try and shepherd them is not a typical tactic. General witnessing in commercial establishments has been done for years as "business territory" work as per tepidpoultry's message. So, if a CO and friend were witnessing in the vicinity they may have taken the opportunity to call in and say hi but it still sounds a little too contrived to me.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

One Day, I will NOT tell any of my JW family where I live and where I work. I will make sure that they will not find me thru white pages. I am looking forward to it!

• Visitor1984
    Visitor1984

Iamallcool,

It was very nice living away from all this mess. No one, including family, bothered us about Jw matters. I hope you get to enjoy that one day as well.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

I don't think they make a demarcation between invading your living space and your work space, I was hustled during my morning Starbucks ritual, a little embarrassing as I was trying to distance myself in a small community, no space is sacred, I don't see this ever changing sadly, I moved far away and have bought myself some peace finally,

Hopefully your experience is better!

:0)

• Visitor1984
    Visitor1984

Few things are as sacred as one's morning coffee tepidpoultry. Glad you found some peace!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Is this a new practice?

They`ve been doing that for as long as I can remember..

JW`s have no boundaries..

They feel free to be assholes,almost anywhere they go..

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I've heard of them harassing people at their JW owned place of employment, but never a general company like that. I would have told them that it is unacceptable and asked them to leave because I was........you know.......at WORK, that place that a circuit overseer knows nothing about in their sheltered cult life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit