Do you still believe in the concept of absolute truth?

by JW_Rogue 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• sweetgrass
    sweetgrass

I think there is an absolute truth about everything, its just on some things we know what it is and on others we have not discovered it yet.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think there's uncertainty about everything, it's just some things we're not clear yet where the uncertainty lies.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The anti-wormism on this forum is utterly appalling.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Absolute truth? Absolutely.

But, is that Jackson Pollock painting I love really good and really art?

Depends on who you ask and what their taste is, the only thing we know absolutely is that it is worth a shitload of money.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

If you Google "what is Truth" you will get a bunch of religious BS. I prefer to say that truth is cause and effect. Put your hand in an open flame, you will feel the resulting burn and seared flesh. This is true. Join a cult? get burned just the same, figuratively speaking? Wink wink.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

No heck no!

Absolute truth about what? The braggings of a imagined Deity of the bible is that absolute truth? God is Love type of absolute truth? Theory of everything absolute truth? Ultimate reality absolute truth? What is this vague abstract shadowy thing we call absolute truth anyway?

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Absolute truth about what? The braggings of a imagined Deity of the bible is that absolute truth? God is Love type of absolute truth? Theory of everything absolute truth? Ultimate reality absolute truth? What is this vague abstract shadowy thing we call absolute truth anyway?

Meaning that there are underlying facts which can't be disputed, it is not a religious question but a philosophical one. Some say that it is a fact that the sky is blue for example but another philosophy would say that the color blue is just how our human mind interprets the light reflecting off of the Earth's atmosphere. So some say everything is subjective and must take into account the perspective of the person who experiences it. As JWs we all had a very concrete view of the world; good vs. evil, black and white, perfect vs imperfect. So now that we have left that thinking behind are we also to leave behind the notion of any inherent truths?

My own opinion is that much of the things we call truths are actually subjective. Ideas about morality are often influenced by cultural norms and society. The notion of free will could also be said to subjective as well, perhaps our genetic code and upbringing only leave us with an illusion of choice. Underneath it all though there are truths, laws that govern the universe in which we live. There is reason for everything but like other animals the answers aren't within our reach. Just my thought and opinion.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Yes, there are absolute or universal truth.

• ChrisIncredulous
    ChrisIncredulous

Ultimately, we are islands of thought seperated from everything. We can't be sure that all of what we know and experience isn't just a computer signal stimulating our brain, which is stored in a vat somewhere beyond our the world we are conscious of.

But once you get over this rather self-centered view of the world and admit the existence of other beings, then you understand we all have a distinct perspective that can only be shared imperfectly.

The only method we have to compare notes about the world we experience is by language, which itself has no universal rules, is vague and imprecise, and changes all the time. What does it even mean to say something is true?

Some things are true because we all agree on them, like: Elizabeth is the Queen of England, or that bar of chocolate is worth £1. And some things are true by definition: points on a circle are all equidistant from the centre, etc. Some things are true because they always follow testable theories we've made up to describe them: the earth is drawn to the sun by gravity.

It's human to ask what is true or not, and we do it to survive in an uncertain world. We're only usually interested in as much truth as is useful; a vast amount of knowledge is considered Trivia. And, ultimately our understanding of reality is limited by our short range biology. We look at truth like goldfish in a pond trying to make out the clouds.

JWs claim they can see everything clearly, but it is humbler, and much more interesting to consider how little we actually know.

• Not This
    Not This

I think ....therefore I Am....I think....Now THAT is the truth☺

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit