Do you still believe in the concept of absolute truth?

by JW_Rogue 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

JWs very much believe that there is an absolute truth and of course, they are the only ones who have it LOL. How about now though do you still believe that absolute truths exist? Or is everything subjective?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Whether there is absolute truth, I think, depends on your perspective.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

How can anyone have absolute truth? Take the Christian belief, most don't realize the bible and its books were not written when they think . Theres mistakes all over the bible , it's been written and rewitten countless times. Many of the stories and writings were taken from other sources and other non Christian belief systems. Even the gods are from pagan sources. So there's no way one can find absolute truth in Christianity!

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I'm not sure it's absolutely true to say that there is absolute truth. Or even that there isn't absolute truth.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes there are objective facts about the world even if our attempts to describe them are imperfect.

• JeffT
    JeffT

To echo my comment in Believer's thread, Absolute Truth about what?

It is an absolute truth that the Earth is not flat. It's an absolute truth that humans need food, water and oxygen to live. Is there an absolute truth about God? Maybe, but we sure don't know it just now. So it all depends on the subject.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Is there absolute truth to a worm?

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

I believe that "truth" or "truths" exists, although it would at least take a brain, mind or neural system to even know that things "are", but calling something "absolute truth" bears very much the characeristics of something that is extremely constant, some sort of never changing universal value. God would definitely be the best candidate for such an absolute truth, but of course, many of us here doubt his existence.

To say that Pluto was the 9th planet of our solar system, was the truth between 1930 and 2006. Was it absolute truth? No. By man-made definition it's a dwarf planet now. Science constantly defines and classifies things, so slimboyfat was right about the notion of human perspective.

I think it is absolute truth to say that Pluto existed before its discovery.

I also think it is even more an absolute truth that we are alive, but to be honest, I'd rather go for an 99,99999 % absolute truth, than for a 100% one

• prologos
    prologos

As I see it: There is one absolute truth, it is a large set of facts that is evolving as time elapses; but there are different pictures of it, from all different observers. Many visions of what is called "truths" though, are merely constructs of the "non-observer's" minds, have no relation to the facts out there. added:

To illustrate, viewers might agree that they see a rainbow. but each sees a different set of sun rays reflected back from water droplets defined by precise angles. the sun, its radiation the rain all are fact, therefore truth, so are the individual observers, their position, their makeup,( cosmic, not cosmetic). truth is more beautiful than the facts.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I believe that 'truth' is subjective. There are facts but how we view facts can take them from accurate to subjective very quickly. I like this actually, it means that we can constantly see the world, analyze the past, and envision the future, and figure in our part in all of that from different perspectives. It helps us grow as people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit