Why does Jehovah choose certain people to rule with him in heaven?

by iWant2Learn 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• iWant2Learn
    iWant2Learn
    In other words, what good works have the 144000 done to be secured a place in heaven? I am told they have already been chosen. Does that mean that Jehovah also knows our future? (Serious).
  • UBM101
    UBM101

According to Revelation they are virgin men. Not sure why some women JW think they are one of those? And married men?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Why does Jehovah choose certain people to rule with him in heaven?

He`s old and needs the help..

He forgets things..

Sometimes, he shits his pants..

"WHAT`S THAT FRIGGIN SMELL!!"

Image result for Old man in wheel chair cartoon

• waton
    waton

Revelation 20 limits those ruling for a thousand years to those killed by the axe.

from "fiddler on the roof" : why not choose somebody else for a change?

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I asked that very question to Lester Dugan, a lifetime second generation JW who was, at that time, our "Circuit Servant" in Southern California (mid 1950s). I was in my early teens at the time and the whole concept of the 144,000 was completely unintelligible to me.

In those days, there were more of "the Remnant" still around (at least until the more recent second generation of "anointed remnant of specially chosen ones.") We had maybe 8 or 10 members who "partook" of the emblems each year in our KH. Brother Dugan's mother lived in our town and went to our Kingdom Hall, so we saw him about twice a year even when he was not our Circuit Servant. When he visited he often would gather the children and teenagers around and allow them to ask him questions about the Bible.

One Sunday afternoon, just before the one hour "public talk" was about to start, Brother Dugan set up a section near the front of the seating area and then asked us if we had any questions. There were often some very good ones like:

"What color skin did Adam and Even have?"

"How did God keep the salt water of the oceans from mixing with the fresh water of the lakes from mixing during the flood?"

and ... (my favorite)

"How do the 144,000 know that they are of the remnant and destined to go to heaven when they die?"

It's been many years, but Brother Dugan answered that question with a lot of caveats. If I remember most of what he said, it went something like this (not a direct quote) :

"Do you know what instinct is like? How some people have certain talents that seem natural to them, but unachievable for others? How very few people can become artists or musicians almost without trying, while others can try and take lessons but never succeed at those skills? How some people just know where they are and never get lost - while you or I can not find our way home without a map or a guide? Those are ways that the 'anointed' know that they are members of the 'Little Flock.' If you do not know instinctively that you are one of the chosen, then you are not part of that privileged group."

As the group broke up, the younger ones still had no clue what he was talking about. But I thought at the time that I grasped the concept that he was trying to convey without giving away any "secrets."

But a few years later, while out in door-to-door service with an elderly sister who also claimed to be "anointed," I mentioned in passing what Brother Dugan had told us during that meeting. I'll never forget her response:

"It's not like that at all. I don't know where he came up with that explanation, but it's nothing like that. But I can't tell you how I know and you would not understand anyway. So just focus your mind on the preaching work and what the New Earth will be like. You will never know what being 'chosen' is like. It's best if you don't ask those kinds of questions."

I had one other opportunity to converse directly with an older brother who claimed to be a member of the 144K. His response to me was to simply ignore my question and tell me to "focus on other things." If I remember correctly, I was embarrassed and somewhat angry with his response. I know that the whole thing was a total mystery to my father. My mother wouldn't talk about it at all. I'm sure they were as baffled as I was about that belief.

Lester Martin Dugan
    Obituary Condolences

DUGAN, LESTER MARTIN Age 96, passed away Wed., 10/6/04, in Hemet, California. Lester was born January 28, 1908 in Beaver Co., Oklahoma. He was a dedicated full time minister of Jehovah's Witnesses for more than 70 years! Lester is survived by his devoted wife, Teressa Dugan. His loving son, Jim W. Dugan and his wife, Florence of San Felipe, Mexico. His 8 step-children: Robert Sola, Terri Murphy, Erin Burks, Cathy McInnis, Shaughan Murphy, Charles Murphy, Patricia Murphy, Anne Calles and their children. He has two grand daughters: Kathleen Parsons of Ramona, CA and Elaine Taber of Yucca valley, CA. He has 4 great grandchildren and 2 great-great grandchildren. A memorial service will be held at the Mira Loma Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses in Mira Loma, CA on Monday, October 25, 2004 at 7PM.
    Published in Press-Enterprise on Oct. 14, 2004

JV

• why144000
    why144000

I understood it was a 'first come first served' arrangement. That is why the 'door' was closed in 1935 (reopened later). A steaming pile of crap!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

All believers are anointed if you take the bible literally. The JW way of doing things is hilarious. It just allows a load of attention seeking and delusional weirdos to jump on the bandwagon of 'special'.

If I believed in god I'd probably have a theory about why god chooses....but since I am convinced there is no god, it doesn't matter.

Most of the 'anointed(tm)' one I ever knew were attention seeking council estate nobodies that just wanted to feel elevated above anyone else.

It's all in the mind.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The Bible in the true Greek never calls them kings it says they will reign as priests only . Check your Greek inter linear Rev. 5:9-10 and all other scriptures in the New Testament that references any Christian as king. By the way the word reign doesn't necessarily mean to rule.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Different religions have different ways of looking at the 144,000, most viewing them as representatives of the twelve tribes of Israel, 12,000 from each tribe. These will serve as representatives that go out into the world to gather the remnants of Israel prior to the return of Christ. These will not be appointed forever, but only until their missions are complete. The Jehovah's Witnesses employ what's called replacement theology in which as all New Testament references, promises and blessings to the twelve tribes of Israel are replaced and given instead to the body of Christ, that is, the church. It is used by a number of Christian sects, mostly those that were formed before the signing of the Balfour Declaration (November 2, 1917), which was the beginning of recognizing Palestine as the reestablished nation of Israel. Isaiah and other prophets had prophesied Israel would be gathered from the nations of the earth (see Isaiah 11, for example).

But the Jehovah's Witnesses were formed before Israel formally became a nation in 1949. And since Israel did not exist, replacement theology was the only logical fulfillment of these prophecies. Sadly, when Israel became a nation, their doctrine was already set in stone! Thus, if they were to reapply those prophecies to Israel, it would make them appear to be revamping their eschatology.

John wrote: “And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on Mount Zion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father’s name written in their foreheads.” (Revelation 14:1) According to both the Old and New Testaments, when Yahweh returns to the earth, he will stand upon the Mount of Olives (Mount Zion). See Zechariah 12, 14 and Revelation 11. The two prophets raised up to the Jewish people at that time have just been killed, but after three and a half days life enters into them and they stand upon their feet and ascend to meet the returning Savior. Jesus' feet stand upon the Mount of Olives and with him the 144,000.

The JWs have centered their entire doctrine on themselves, however, and this is a problem. It's best to read the scriptures and try to piece them together with a clean sheet of paper. If you begin a journey with a bad map, where you begin and where you end up will be in error. As I read some of their prophecies, and their exegeses, I'm flabbergasted at the liberties they take.

• Irishdub
    Irishdub
    iWant2Learn4 days agoIn other words, what good works have the 144000 done to be secured a place in heaven? I am told they have already been chosen. Does that mean that Jehovah also knows our future? (Serious).

They just borrowed the *limited AT-ONE-MENT from the hell fire Calvinists !
    ALL their doctrines are adopted and adapted except the blood and their 1914 failed end time eschatology THEY OWN THAT CRAP ! They wish they didn't ! Lol

mmmm answer : Jehovah seen the movie already ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit