Post your experiance with JWs who did not save for retirement and had to work or live off off SS till death

by wolverines 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(Bookmarking)

• wolverines
    wolverines

I too know of many. And many more coming into this situation. When I was working a a youth and put away money into a savings account I was told by a JW couple to spend it, it was going to be thrown in the streets in a few years anyway. Now they live in the basement of their small home and rent the top out to their kid and her husband.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WOLVERINES:

Regarding the story you relate that when you were a youth and put money into a savings account..you were unwisely told by this other couple to just spend it:..But time proved just how wrong their logic was!

What I want to say IS:..this talking about your private financial business with every Tom, Dick and Harry is not normal or done elsewhere..But, in the JWs normal boundaries are not observed or respected. Therefore there is the tendency to ‘confess’ or talk about your personal business.

I learned to keep my mouth shut and was very guarded about what I revealed to JWs when I was in the religion.

What is most tragic is that young people (who know nothing else) are influenced in ways they should not be by adults who have embraced an unwise lifestyle of not planning for their future!

Again...today I’m thankful I had the influence of so-called ‘worldly’ people and a non-Witness upbringing to save me from making an unwise decision years ago! 🙏🏻

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Jws like to jump between the old and new testaments, to cherry pick whatever thought they are trying to justify at that moment. Proverbs 13:22 is a scripture I haven't heard quoted much though. It explicitly defines a good person as someone that leaves wealth to their grandchildren.

This one, short scripture actually contains a lot of wisdom if followed. It encourages someone to think long term about other people's benefit and promotes a sense of responsibility towards money and wealth.

Contrast this with the ex missionary / pioneer elder I knew that passed away recently in his 90s. When I gave my condolences, his daughter told me, almost proudly, that her father had nothing and died poor. It wasn't the time or place to tell her that he died pooe because he expected the end to be here decades ago and he didn't save to help his children, but I was thinking it.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Was your dad a non-JW? That was good advice he gave to save for the future.

No. He actually had responsibilities from the local congregation right up to the old district level. He was what some had termed a "heavy hitter", however he also was a very intelligent practical man. He was what a friend of mine described as an iron fist in a velvet glove. The velvet glove was used to comfort, assist, and gently guide anyone who needed. The iron fist, more often than not, was used to put fellow elders in their proper place. I am biased, but I believe he fit closely the example Jesus gave with the recorded kindness and forgiveness for the Ama-Ahrets, and the way he came down, hard, on the Pharisees. He was finally put out to pasture when my mother developed Alzheimer's, and I remember him saying a number of times, "Jehovah's Witnesses have love on their lips, but none in their hearts."

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

My dad also had another saying whenever someone would go off on the "throwing money in the streets" tangent. He would say, "Better it is to have it and throw it in the streets, than to not have it and live on the street dependent on the charity of others."

• Simon
    Simon

It's easy for people to blame the WTS for their poor retirement planning. There is obviously some influence there but I haven't seen any studies that suggest JWs are really any worse off overall than the general population where many people save too little. Although the WTS has a downer on further education it is a conservative christian sect and generally promotes working and non-extravagant spending.

It's much easier to live a more modest lifestyle than it is to save enough for possibly wasteful spending.

As they say, the best time to start investing for your future was 20 years ago and the next best time is today. The recent market drops due to coronavirus are a significant opportunity for many to boost their retirement prospects.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Spot on simon

spot on 👍

• Overrated
    Overrated

WT always asking for money, discouraging higher education or a better job. They are nothing more than parasites on humanity. They really don't give anything but sure can take. Your money, your youth, your happiness, and worst off your life.

• JWTom
    JWTom

LONGHAIRGAL

Most JWs are horribly insecure due to the teachings of the org. They cannot help but talk about their situation due to insecurity. Even some that secure financially or wealthy by some measure simply cannot keep their mouth shut about finances.

Good advice is, it is none of your business what my finances are. I don't talk about my personal finances at all. If someone asks about general saving or financial decisions then I may share my opinion.

Many are simply so beaten down into thinking they should not have anything financially that they simply cannot motivate themselves to do things for their own best interests.

Just my opinion/view from experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit