Regarding Correct Understanding of Bible Prophecies Have JWs EVER Been Right?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

When Jehovah's Witnesses ask me sometimes rarely if I miss the meetings or the truth, I am always befuddled when I think of how they know nothing and have never gotten anything correct

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I seriously doubt that any JW understanding of prophecy has ever withstood the test of time. How can anyone trust them when they are always wrong??

The reason this is so is explained in the fact that this organization was founded upon false bible interpretations, commercially viable perhaps for literature proliferation but they were inherently false nevertheless.

When you think about the start of WTS. by C T Russell and his nutty Pyramidology theology, this is what the organization grew from and the following leaders were in belief in this theology, which they exploited to a further extent over the years.

Not one of the WTS leaders were academically trained bible scholars and most have being trained and taught from the ignorance of their predecessors of the organization.

• blondie
    blondie

Discussed before on JWN

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/12912/another-watchtower-deception

One example

My Hate Turned to Love ***
    My Hate Turned to Love

A few weeks later, after I had returned home, one of Jehovah’s Witnesses called at my door. I accepted Bible literature from her. Although she called back regularly every Sunday morning, I did not give any serious thought to or read the literature she left at that time. One day, however, I came home from work more depressed than usual. My wife suggested that I read something to try to relax my mind-a booklet left by the Witnesses entitled Peace-Can It Last?
    I began to read the booklet and found that I could not put it down until I had read it all. I said to my wife: “This booklet was printed in 1942. If someone on the street had then said that Hitler and Mussolini would lose the war and that the League of Nations would reappear in the form of the United Nations, people would have thought he was mentally disturbed. But what is now history is precisely what this booklet said would happen.

If you go to the United Nations web site, you'll find that the U.N was active through out World War 2.

The name "United Nations", coined by United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt, was first used in the "Declaration by United Nations" of 1 January 1942, during the Second World War, when representatives of 26 nations pledged their Governments to continue fighting together against the Axis Powers.
    Inter-Allied Declaration

Signed in London on 12 June 1941, the Inter-Allied Declaration- "to work together, with other free peoples, both in war and in peace" -was a first step towards the establishment of the United Nations.
    UK PM Churchill, US Pres. Roosevelt at Atlantic Charter. HMS Prince of Wales, 14 Aug 41 (24469 UN/DPI).
    Atlantic Charter

On 14 August 1941, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt of the United States and Prime Minister Winston Churchill of the United Kingdom proposed a set of principles for international collaboration in maintaining peace and security. The document, signed during a meeting on the ship HMS Prince of Wales, "somewhere at sea", is known as the Atlantic Charter.

Declaration by United Nations
    On 1 January 1942, representatives of 26 Allied nations fighting against the Axis Powers met in Washington, D.C. to pledge their support for the Atlantic Charter by signing the "Declaration by United Nations". This document contained the first official use of the term "United Nations", which was suggested by President Roosevelt.

In a declaration signed in Moscow on 30 October 1943, the Governments of the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, the United States and China called for an early establishment of an international organization to maintain peace and security. That goal was reaffirmed at the meeting of the leaders of the United States, the USSR, and the United Kingdom at Teheran on 1 December 1943.

... http://www.un.org/aboutun/history.htm

... http://www.un.org/aboutun/milestones.htm

Yes the internet is a dangerous place for dubs. The Watchtower will ban from the U.N. web site here soon.

Baja

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Well with so many prophecies in the Bible not coming true it would be crazy to think a cult 2000 years later would get anything right. Let's also not forget the Bible of today is not the Bible of the past. There's probably a bunch more failed prophecies in the books they took out too!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Regarding Correct Understanding of Bible Prophecies Have JWs EVER Been Right?

No.

• Randomthoughts
    Randomthoughts

What always bothered me was the claim that the governing body has a better/clearer understanding of prophecy and Jesus etc than the disciples.

The disciples believed that the end of the world was imminent back in their day but according to the GB it is imminent 2000 years later.

I would put my money on contemporaries of Jesus who actually spoke to the man himself having far better knowledge.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

notsurewheretogo wrote:

Is any bible prophecy right though?

As far as Jews are concerned there is no such thing as "Bible prophecy," not the way Jehovah's Witnesses and Christians in general state there is. Christianity tends to see prophecy as "foretelling the future," and due to this some Christians have used the Hebrew texts almost like a medium wields a crystal ball.

In Judaism prophecy was never about foretelling the future. Technically speaking, Jews never ruled out that a prophet could foretell an event, it was just not limited to such. Prophecy was a type of giftedness or talent in a person, a culmination of a person's spiritual and ethical development.

The Jewish prophets were people who witnessed great injustices in their day and were moved with ardor to speak out against them. While the person was generally speaking of their own accord, they had reached a such a level of ethical achievement that their pronouncements were "inspired" by virtue of their "closeness to God," so to speak.

Of interest: Daniel is not considered one of the Jewish prophets. Daniel is a legendary figure, and the writings attributed to him are an apocalyptic commentary on the struggle during the Hasmonean period that led up to the events now celebrated in the festival of Chanukah. The book of Daniel is placed in the Writings (Ketuvim) section of the Tanakh and not the Prophets (Nevi'im) section because of this.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Blondie is 100% on the mark. Nathan Knorr was an avid reader of the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. He and his buddy Fred Franz knew what was going on in the world on a daily basis. However, the average witness was probably woefully ignorant of the politics of their day. Knorr and Franz took what was common knowledge at the time, mystified and reinterpreted the news to fit their narrative on Revelation and 'voila' created their own 'self fulfilling' prophecy. Why if they were still alive today, they could probably bend spoons with their minds!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

They have certainly fulfilled Duet 18:22

"If a prophet or spokesman of god speaks and yet his words do not come true, then know that he was NOT from God"...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You could correctly say the WTS and its leaders were commercializing profiteers who exploited the belief of Gospel of Jesus Christ and his supposed return to attract attention to the literature the organization published and to create a presence of power and notoriety toward themselves.

The identification of fear mongering charlatans could also be used.

Of course now its easy to see that " The Truth " wasn't the truth after all but there is still the prevalence power, control and money that is enticing enough for few to engage themselves in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit