How does one cope with the sudden and unexpected loss of a parent?

by My Name is of No Consequence 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• flipper
    flipper

MY NAME IS NO CONSEQUENCE- My deepest condolences on the loss of your father my friend. I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm sure he is in your heart everyday still. I lost my mom in December and I still have spells at times where I just break down into tears 7 months later. Your dad will always be a part of you . You have his DNA and I'm sure a good measure of his personality and good character within you as well. Sounds like he was a great dad and a caring man. Take that part of him- what he taught you about humanity , empathy, and caring and make what he was - possess that within yourself as a gift from him to you.

It's how I'm gradually healing over my mom's death- taking what she taught me about love, kindness, and empathy- and now trying to make that a deeper part of me in my life. I also got some grief counseling in February - several sessions - which really helped me put everything in perspective - even my relationships with my elder dad who survived after my mom's death. Your dad and my mom gave us gifts in being good human beings - all we can do is honor that by being those same gifts to our living family and friends. It takes time to heal from the loss of our parents - the hurt never leaves, but through the years we appreciate the lessons they taught us within. Be kind to yourself and feel your grief and cry if you want to, it's normal to do so. We are here as friends as well if you ever need to talk, O.K. ? Sending my love, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Thank you all for your comments, suggestions and kind words. I have been feeling a little bit down and lonely lately. But I actually feel a little better after starting this thread and discussing my feelings. I really do not have many people to talk to directly, not even my wife. So I appreciate this!

• flipper
    flipper

MY NAME IS NO CONSEQUENCE- I'm going to PM you my home and cell phone numbers and my personal E-mail address. Please check your PM's - O.K. ? Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• alias
    alias

I'm sorry for your loss.

My JW mom died a couple of months ago. She was never supposed to die. None of us were.

Still trying to figure this out.

My thoughts are with you.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Once again, I just want to thank everyone for their suggestions, comments, well wishes and support. It seems like I have been feeling better about all of this lately and I have all of you to thank!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit