The wt has now changed Jesus definition of neighboor

by poopie 66 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener

I guess what I don't get is why the WT defined neighbor at all? Why just say our neighbor is everyone and here are some examples of how we can help. Seems like it would have been simpler and easier to understand.

By defining the word neighbor and giving three categories they did in fact exclude those not in one of those groups. I guess when a witness is out of their KHs territory they don't have to treat everyone like a neighbor because they wouldn't be preaching to them.

IMHO almost every witness at the meetings understood what was really being said - we treat our families, fellow believers and those we may convert as neighbors - to hell with the rest of them.

• lanalonger
    lanalonger

As a group, our ministry is to the ends of the earth, hence 'those we meet in the ministry' encompasses everyone. Mentioning the three groups made sense in context as I said, as the article went on to explain how to show neighbor love to each group.

There was nothing new here, just reminders on how to love, being 'patient and kind,' not reviling when reviled , etc.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Lana, I understand what you're saying but that isn't what the WT actually said. And yes, I read it. If the organization wanted you to take away that neighbor means everyone they would have said that. They did not say that which means they put limits who a neighbor is. It may be a large group but it certainly isn't everyone.

You are probably a kind and loving person which is why, in your opinion, the organization meant everyone, because that is how you feel, but, I would say when the WT mentions specific groups it is for a reason. I think it's ok that you understand the article the way you but you should be careful in sharing your personal thoughts with others at the hall since witnesses need to be united in thought.

• lanalonger
    lanalonger

Actually during the commenting on that paragraph we agreed it was everyone.

I stand by my defense of the article, it's tone, content, and intent were to teach, as one subheading expressed, to show love to all persons. One day that won't have to be taught, it will have been learned and be in practice, to everyone's 'exquisite delight.'

• TheListener
    TheListener

Lana, you seem very kind hearted and sincere in your beliefs and I like that you are posting here because I enjoy your perspective, but, aren't you concerned that you may see or read something that you can't undo in your mind?

Is there anything that you've always wanted to ask an apostate or a doctrine that you just couldn't believe that an apostate doesn't get? If so, now's your chance to ask and get a ton of different answers. Be aware though that many here have frustration and anger and their replies may reflect that. If so, start a new thread or two and I'm sure lots of people will respond.

• lanalonger
    lanalonger

Prior to seeking reinstatement a few years back, I read every drop of anti-jw material I could find, a different take on making sure of all things, I suppose, so I am not too worried, but I appreciate your kind thoughts. A couple of things actually helped move me back, a big topic then was the 'Jesus is not the mediator for all' bit, which I knew we never taught. I could clearly see how a particular article was being twisted (sorry, lack a better word for that) to make it appear we were being taught that, but it's simply false. I know the complexities of the molestation issue from personal experience, and I believe that failures in that occur but there is no widespread effort to allow it or coverup, no vaunted 'pedophile paradise.' I believe Ray Franz took that view as well.

I know we are still not 100 percent sure if the folks from Sodom will be resurrected.:) I believe the brotherhood itself is a work in progress as well as each of us individually and it's good to have a sense of humor about all of it.

If anything bothers me I'll tackle it, but I feel like I've seen pretty much all of it, a lot seems to get recycled, rehashed ....oh for the record I can see where the overlapping generations is a bit of a head-scratcher but I am willing to exercise patience on that one. Have a super day, all.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Actually during the commenting on that paragraph we agreed it was everyone.
    I stand by my defense of the article, it's tone, content, and intent were to teach, as one subheading expressed, to show love to all persons. One day that won't have to be taught, it will have been learned and be in practice, to everyone's 'exquisite delight.'

When I was fully in then I would have said exactly the same thing. Once I woke up to the pointlessness of the preaching work, it's value compared to practical charitable help was totally reversed.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can see the arguments of both the supporter (Lana) and the detractors to this article. As always, the message is foggy ,allowing two conclusions. I believe that most dubs would have understood that helping one's neighbour in a practical way is encouraged here. The article does put it this way, though:

P3)... But who is our “neighbor”? .....................Others are the individuals whom we meet in the ministry.

The later discussion of the subject is only about "The Ministry" and helping them by preaching the "Good News" - not doing a bit of shopping for an old lady down the street. "The Ministry" in their view is the best expression of neighbour love. "Who needs food parcels when you can direct them to everlasting life?"

This is ably demonstrated in this news video that featured in my thread, They went out to greet refugees, but with literature , not food and clothing.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5484604559458304/news-report-video-greek-jws-trolley-carts-greet-refugees

• sir82
    sir82

As a group, our ministry is to the ends of the earth

LOL

Except for 95% of India.

And 99% of China.

And 99% of the Muslim world.

And North Korea.

Maybe, maybe, being generous, 1/2 the world's population has some vague notion that such an entity as "Jehovah's Witnesses" even exists.

Maybe 3% of the world's population knows something about JWs other than "oh those are the guys who sell the Watchtower and don't believe in Jesus".

As I've said numerous times on this forum: If there really were a Jehovah as the WTS paints him, and he really did expect some group to perform a "worldwide ministry", he'd have canned JWs decades ago for the piss-poor hash they are making of their "efforts".

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

lanalonger - In line with sir82's post can I ask you to read an old thread of mine and comment?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/323080001/why-jehovah-does-want-effective-preaching-work

At the risk of being accused of blatant self promotion I would ask you to consider if the seemingly deliberate inefficiency of the preaching work actually calls into question if Jehovah meets his own recommendations for neighbourly love?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit