Overweight Jehovah’s Witnesses

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Truth, some people do overeat and they aren’t obese. Some people diet and eat healthy but still have junk in the trunk. I think it’s the reason why elders stay away from going after anybody on gluttony.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Some of us have an f'd up thyroid. But does not give me license to overeat. I'm working on it. But loading your plate at a buffet I just don't understand.

• minimus
    minimus

Speaking of buffets, there is a place in Rhode Island and I forget the name, but I believe it’s like $150 plus for all you can eat from lobsters, prime rib, crab legs, you name it, they have it. I could never justify spending that much money for a meal just to gouge myself.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The subject was vorboten in the congregations I had the displeasure to attend.

One Elder did ask about it but was swiftly told to shut his cakehole.

• minimus
    minimus

Punk, you crack me up.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

This came up for discussion at the lunch table once. Each grade's teachers ate together at the same table every day.

Myself and another teacher were on the chunky side, not hugely obese, but maybe stuck between the end of misses sizes and the beginning of Plus sizes, about size 18. The other two teachers were skinny minis.

We were talking about weight one day and the skinnies remarked on how little the chunkies ate. I ate a piece of fruit, a yogurt and a premier protein drink. If I could even get that much down. I just don't have much of an appetite and neither did my chunky colleague.

The skinnies ate unhealthy microwave dinners and all kinds of crap. One of them whom I shared an office with snacked all day from snacks in her lunch box. She loved chocolate.

The other chunky and I had diagnosed endocrine disorders and were both on thyroid medication. We ate little, but our bodies hold onto fat like it's going out of style! And we were all physically active! You never get a chance to sit down when teaching elementary school. The other chunky even taught dance after school!

The point being that you can't tell if someone is overeating unless you see them eating every day. The physical result doesn't always correlate.

I have my thyroid checked and it seems to be getting worse as I get older. I think my lack of appetite might be related to that. I have trouble cooking dinner now because I am just not hungry and don't judge well how much everyone else will want to eat. Just like when you go grocery shopping on an empty stomach you buy more. I'm never hungry and don't buy enough.

• minimus
    minimus

Looks can be deceiving.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

During my time with the JWs (1969-1994), obesity amongst them was not that common. Furthermore, the few that did have an issue with their weight tended to be those that had thyroid or similar problems.

In the years since then, the only contact I have had with the Witnesses is when they have called at my door, or when I have seen them manning the Apathy Cart. On neither occasion have any stood out as noticeably overweight.

• luckynedpepper
    luckynedpepper
    Anyway, IIRC, the basic idea was that the bible condemns "gluttony", not "obesity". It was more about the attitude toward food as opposed to the quantity.

Po-tay-toe / Po-tah-toe

Wouldnt this carry over to being a drunkard. The bible says drunkards will not inherit the kingdom. It says nothing about the occasional, social, over-drinker?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Frankly, I don't think JW's (as a group) are any more obese than the average population. It varies some by location because there is a higher rate of obesity in low income areas (in and out of the JW bOrg).

I can only speak for the USA. From my travels I see that Europeans walk their asses off. They oughta be skinny. Americans drive to their mailbox if they have a long driveway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit