Why Jehovah witnesses don't say, "Bless you" ?

by Issa 23 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
  • zeb
    zeb

I say it as it is a little tradition that to me just adds a little communication between people.

Pgan? hmm so are wedding rings, white gowns, and a whole load of other stuff so are those fashion abomibnations that are a a centre piece of JW-dom neck ties. But dare suggest men stop wearing them.

• fulano
    fulano

In spanish we say:"salud"...

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jw`s just HAVE to be different from anyone else .

• Cimarrona
    Cimarrona

It's also worth noting that, in every culture I've ever observed, there is some statement made after people sneeze. In several languages, that response is simply wishing the sneezer good health. Seems like a fairly logical response to finding out someone is sick. Nothing pagan about it. But... JWs who speak those languages s still don't respond because the basis of the Borg is Anglo-American hegemony.

• Scully
    Scully

Haven't been an Active™ JW for over 20 years, and I still can't bring myself to say "Bless you" when someone sneezes.

When I was a teenager, I found a German bible in the KH library, and found Acts 15:29 which used the word Geshundheit (good health to you). So I started using it instead of "Bless you". When an Elder™ reprimanded me for saying it, I told him (being a snotty teenager, naturally) that it was written in the German bible, so why should I not wish someone to have good health?? He didn't believe me, so I showed him. And since Acts 15:29 is so hugely important to the JW anti-blood transfusion dogma, how could he argue with that? The next time I checked, the German bible had mysteriously vanished.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

will that's fairly typical - the german Bible vanishing - never make an elder look small -

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Yet no-one ever says "Bless you" after a fart.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

snugglebunny: Yet no-one ever says "Bless you" after a fart.

absolutely not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1gTOE477JQ

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Can anyone explain why the JWs don't say bless you, besides being "pagan"?

I never got to hear one consistent answer to that nonsense. In Spanish we reply "Salud", which literally means "health", and that was still "pagan", even though we are not even using the word "bless".

It's just WT nonsense. There's no other explanation to me. I wonder what is the story with whatever other people say in other languages.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit