Sneezing in the presence of non-JWs

by compound complex 8 Replies latest social humour

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, cold and allergy sufferers:

I'm in good health currently, but I do sneeze quite a bit, bringing down the rafters, as one sister exclaimed at the KH. Apart from that, no JW ever acknowledged my clearing out . . . whatever.

Now, in the presence of genteel ladies -- I am not exclusive as to the recipient of my sneezes -- I receive a kindly, "Goodness! God bless you!" after each one of my expulsions. Often, up to six. So, while in the midst of gasping for breath, the earth giving beneath my feet, I, the gentleman I am, am compelled to croak out four to six feeble thank yous.

Don't ever sprinkle pepper on your meal if I'm within 20 feet. My last polite exclamation will be:

Thank you . . .

• just fine
    just fine

I have the same issue sneezing 10-15 times in a row. My workmates tease that they won't bless me until I am done. Lol.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Like toasting and beards, I could never figure out the prohibition on this, but still, I complied.

• undercover
    undercover

This is one JW tradition I'm okay with - but only for the practicality of it, not for whatever silly reasons the WTS gives. Superstitious nonsense to have everyone around you, including strangers, call out 'God bless you', or 'Gesundheit' every time someone sneezes.

• Funchback
    Funchback

In Brazil, they don't usually say anything here but if they do, they have a word: SAÚDE, which literally means "health".

You also say saúde for when you say "Cheers!".

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It used to be believed that people were vulnerable to posession by spirits at the moment one sneezed, hence the custom of saying "bless you" as a sort of protection.

Of course these days its just a social pleasantry, nobody else knows the origin of the custom and the JW rule that forbids it is downright silly, but they never miss a chance to split hairs and micromanage.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, friends, for your comments.

I haven't sneezed all day.

Cheers!

• LV101
    LV101

Ah, CC, just let it rip! Did you know that sneezes can be up to 100+ mph? I heard info like this one day on the radio -- they were serious. I don't know if it's true but heard sneezes could stop your heart -- or at least that of another (lol) in close proximity! Someone just told me one of their friends died after a big sneeze! The sneezer must have had a weak or malfunctioning heart -- but I don't know.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

The people of earth began to sneeze it sounded like molested bees

The glaciers all began to rock minutes slipped on the atomic clock

The solar system wondered if the sneeze would reach the cosmic rift

There is no need to wonder why it all began with just one guy

A sneeze so powerful and loud creating it's own cosmic cloud

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit