Another one that Jdubs miss

by HawayMan 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• waton
    waton
    it most likely meant those faithfully serving as ministers/preachers teaching within individual congregations of Christianity,

DJ: that understanding comes close to what wt taught in old light, about the "slave" being christians as a class, or when they acted as teachers. (while at the time maintaining an absolute monopoly on the pulpit)

I thought it was an encouragement to do all kinds of good deeds, not only "spiritually", as is of course in the order to do humanitarian works in the parable of the sheep and goats, allways, not just in the "end times" btw.

• johnamos
    johnamos
    But I would say that "presence" much better encapsulates what the WT teaches about Jesus' parousia, that is, an invisible presence that only a few know about,

Hmm...I am surprise to here you say that. Maybe I am misunderstanding you but are you saying his 'presence' and 'coming' are two different events?

That is not how I understand it and that is they may be two different words being used but they are referring to the same event/time.

Starting with this verse that uses the word 'presence', this is the way I view it:

[However, brothers, respecting the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him,]

There it connects their being gathered together to him at the time of his 'presence'. Matt 24:31 shows when it is that they are gathered together to him, which is at the time of his 'coming' as shown in verse 30.

[30 And then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in lamentation, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he will send forth his angels with a great trumpet sound, and they will gather his chosen ones together from the four winds, from one extremity of the heavens to their other extremity.]

Likewise:

[15 For this is what we tell YOU by Jehovah’s word, that we the living who survive to the presence of the Lord shall in no way precede those who have fallen asleep in death; 16 because the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first. 17 Afterward we the living who are surviving will, together with them, be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and thus we shall always be with the Lord.]

• Bobcat
    Bobcat
    Maybe I am misunderstanding you but are you saying his 'presence' and 'coming' are two different events?

I said:

The first difference between these two words is that erchomai is a verb; parousia is a noun. Erchomai expresses movement, parousia is an event. And thus, the two words can be used in the same context, such as at Mt 24:36-44. The verbs in the context describing Jesus' "coming" (vss. 37, 42, 44) are all part of the event, his parousia. (vs. 39)

I made a mistake in the above quote. Mt 24:37 uses the term parousia. The NET renders it as "coming." That is why I thought (without checking) that erchomai occurred there. But my point is the same. Erchomai is a verb. It expresses action. Parousia is a noun. An event is a noun, a thing. Since erchomai is a verb it cannot be an event, which is a noun. But erchomai can be something that happens during an event.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    DJ, for all practical purposes, JC was the Faithful and Discreet Slave during the 3 1/2 years of his ministry. but only one of many competing teachers.
    The wt leadership claims that same role. Their "enthroned king of 1914", has done nothing but rule through them.

That's what I always thought Waton, that Jesus was the faithful slave.

Then MRS MARIA RUSSELL claimed that title for her husband. Shortly after his death this was played down (I may be wrong here). Nowadays, of course, the 8 GB members claim this title for themselves - therefore placing themselves in the role of Jesus for the majority of witnesses, though many aren't aware the GB are effectively their "mediator" - I'd be interested to know the dates the "slave" switched from Russell to the anointed, then from the anointed to solely the GB??

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Re: the differences between erchomai and parousia.

Bobcat wrote: "The first difference between these two words is that erchomai is a verb; parousia is a noun. Erchomai expresses movement, parousia is an event. And thus, the two words can be used in the same context, such as at Mt 24:36-44. The verbs in the context describing Jesus' "coming" (vss. 37, 42, 44) are all part of the event, his parousia. (vs. 39) Parousia means "presence," but the way it is used in the NT and anciently gives it an added flavor that, to me, "presence" does not convey. It is more like an official state visit, with all that such a visit would include. In the NT, parousia is associated with Jesus rewarding his faithful servants and punishing the others."

My understanding is that: whereas, “parousia” invariably refers to the Lord's second coming at the consummation (world judgment) erchomia refers to the 70 AD judgment on Jerusalem because of their rejection of the Messiah.

The parables clearly suggest on this:

Mar 12:9 What shall therefore the lord of the vineyard do?
    He will come (ἔρχομαι erchomai) and destroy the husbandmen, and will give the vineyard unto others.

Matthew 21:

38 But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance.

39 And they caught him, and cast him out of the vineyard, and slew him.

40 When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh (ἔρχομαι erchomai), what will he do unto those husbandmen?

41 They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons.

42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

44 And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

45 And when the chief priests and Pharisees had heard his parables, they perceived that he spake of them.

Luke 20:

13 Then said the lord of the vineyard, What shall I do? I will send my beloved son: it may be they will reverence him when they see him.

Luk 20:14 But when the husbandmen saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, This is the heir: come let us kill him, that the inheritance may be ours.

Luk 20:15 So they cast him out of the vineyard, and killed him. What therefore shall the lord of the vineyard do unto them?

Luk 20:16 He shall come (ἔρχομαι erchomai), and destroy these husbandmen, and shall give the vineyard to others. And when they heard it, they said, God forbid.

Luk 20:17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?

Luk 20:18 Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

Luk 20:19 And the chief priests and the scribes the same hour sought to lay hands on him; and they feared the people: for they perceived that he had spoken this parable against them.

The timing on this is relevant:

Mat 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee into the next: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone through the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come (ἔρχομαι erchomai).

Luk 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
    Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming (ἔρχομαι erchomai) in his kingdom.
    Matthew 24:34 This coming in vengeance, would climax the tribulation and occur in the lifespan of Christ's own generation.
  • johnamos
    johnamos

Thank you for clarifying.

What do you mean in saying this:

that is, an invisible presence that only a few know about,
  • johnamos
    johnamos

Never mind that post...I see that I was misunderstanding what you wrote. I should have known, that is why I said I was surprised to see you say such. But it is me that was reading it wrong. I see now that you are not agreeing with the WTS view on 'Parousia'.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Hi John,

Yes, I don't agree with WT. I used to. But that was before I started doing my own study.

Thanks again for bringing up the thought of comparing erchomai with parousia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit