Leaving story

by leavingeverythingbehind 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingeverythingbehind
    leavingeverythingbehind

Hi everybody!

I've been following this forum for a couple of years now, but it's only just now that I've decided to register. It's been quite a long and strenous process leaving the org, having been borned and raised in and spent so much time in. I'm so gratefull there's the Internet these days which helps new people find their way out of this and other religions. I wish I hadn't spent so much time in myself, but at the same time I've now come to terms with most of that and I'm also happy to have found a new path in life. It also makes me very happy to see all the young people waking up and beginning this journey earlier in life than I did, not wasting any more time than necessary, albeit not without struggles...

In the beginning of my journey out I was (and still am) a big fan of leaving stories and therefore I thought I would post my own leaving story for anybody interested. My published story is perhaps a little bit different in the respect that it's rather a compilation of the correspondence between me and my dad (still in elder since forever, used to be a PO etc) over a couple of years, with some level of details removed. So for any of you who are interested, here it is:

http://leavingeverythingbehindweb.wordpress.com/

• steve2
    steve2

Thank you for introducing yourself and writing about your journey in leaving.

No matter how many times I read people's accounts of "leaving" the organization, I find so much of value and never tire of them.

Contrary to the ugly and/or patronizing way in which jw organization portrays those who have left, it takes sheer guts and courage to step away from involvement and an extraordinary ability to "make sense" of what has happened. Writing about one's journey is an effective way to start processing all the mixed reactions and feelings - and can reduce the confusion and FOG (fear, obligation and guilt).

That's why there is a very large pool of people around the globe who are neither "in" nor "out" of the organization; they remain in limbo about whether it's the "truth" and "what else" there is (I acknowledge unknown numbers remain for family reasons). To reach a stage of being able to say to yourself (and, if indicated, others), "I have left"). Of course bodily leaving doesn't mean the individual continues to deal with the aftermath!

So, I welcome you and hope you continue to share your story and insights!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

hi LET-B---and welcome to the site--and the rest of your life !

• sparky1
    sparky1

Nice to meet you leavingeverythingbehind. I look forward to your posts.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Welcome and congratulations. I'm 7 months out and haven't regretted a single day since.

I too love reading the waking up stories.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Welcome LEB I enjoyed very much for your interesting letters between you and your father.

I think you managed to say succinctly just about everything possible to deny JWs having the true religion and in doing so you leave for us and others a brilliant record of key points, most of them from their own literature. You must have done an enormous amount of research?

I liked the 1881 Watchtower on "new light" showing how impossible it would be for divine truth to change, only can it be added to. A reasonable position to which the GB with their fatal doctrinal and prophetic mistakes can never return. Also the clear statement on why disfellowshipping is unscriptural Awake Jan 1947.

The algorithms of science and religion were excellent too.

The main thing is that you have stopped living under the Watchtower directives and now live like a free woman exercising your human right to choose your own path.

Yes, leaving stories are heartwarming for us all---thank you for writing yours!

• leavingeverythingbehind
    leavingeverythingbehind

Thank you all for your kind words

#Half banana, yes I did do a whole lot of research, mainly on topics that interested me. Even so there were many that I stayed away from totally, like the blood issue, 1914 (the year itself) etc. There are so many different angles from which to tear this "building" down. My main point however wasn't to tell my dad why his beliefs are wrong, but more to show him my own line of reasoning, how I came to the conclusion that leaving the faith was a well founded decision and in fact the only possible choice for me to make. So many before me have done this type of research as well, so there's plenty to dig from.

I've realized since then, that much of my reasoning in the letters fit well within the domains of philosophy and that there's even a proper word that would describe my thoughts regarding the subject of "how you know what you know" so to speak. That's why I've now enrolled in a class in "Scentific epistemology" at the university. Should prove to be an exiting spring this year.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

WELCOME!

You have actually taken a strong and commendable step to stand up for what is right, and to decisively cut ties with a society that is not healthy.

Be proud of the strength this took!
    You are amongst many like minded people who saw the need to no longer be passive supporters of the organization.

Much love to you!

• Giordano
    Giordano

Welcome to the forum! I did go to your blog to read your letters to and from. You are very articulate, you write beautifully and presented a serious take on the thinking you have done. I look forwarded to finishing them.

GIO

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Welcome to you, Leaving - i'm like you, appreciating the internet for the great access to so much information. Also because i can be a part of this terrific forum.

I'll be checking out your blog! Thank you for joining in and nice to meet you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit