The Real Reason why the WT predicted Armageddon in 1975

by OrphanCrow 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The Real Reason why the WT predicted Armageddon in 1975

WBT$ Crazy Person..

(Fred Fanz)

Image result for Watchtower fred franz.Image result for Plus Sign smallImage result for numerology word

Image result for Equals sign smallImage result for 1975 year

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As already acknowledged, JWs preached before, during and after this period. So the connection between tax status, preaching, and 1975 looks tenuous to non-existent. Have you missed out some evidence for a connection?

Besides, if you are accused of not being a real religion, then setting a date for Armageddon to prove that you are, is a pretty bizarre response, given that society in general doesn't tend to view apocalyptic date-setting favourably.

The evidence would tend to suggest that JWs promoted 1975 because many of them really believed it, including the Vice President. It's fair to argue the leadership were also pleased about the boost in membership and activity and that might have been part of a calculation for some.

You argue the real reason for the blood situation is money, and that money also prompted the 1975 prophecy. Is it your general contention that financial considerations are behind most JW doctrinal history?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Let me add that the original 1975 idea was put forth by Armstrong the leader of the world wide church of god. Fred Franz stole the idea. I'm not sure if this means anything or can add to the discussion but i thought it should be mentioned.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

What if Armageddon happened in 1975 but was invisible?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

SBF, although I have not yet had a chance to read OC's links, I have done some research reading on the charitable status needs, and the highly important need for the WT to have the preaching activity documented to provide as proof of religious activity, for the USA tax exempt status at least.

I am not sure when the date was when the JWs were required to keep track and turn in detailed accounting for time. Was the Watchtower always considered a religion? When did it gain tax exempt religious status? Was this always the case? As the publisher numbers in the US have been falling, the requirements for preaching time to be considered a publisher have been reduced, correct? A convenient way to "report". It seems the WT is making it easier and easier for the shrinking #s of JWs to report time, am I correct?

It is a fact that the WT changed language and practice about the printed materials from "selling for a small fee to cover costs" to a "donation" as a direct cause of money. Tax status-The Swaggert case. It seems the WT does quite a bit that is motivated at the root by money. So this theory of using 1975 as a tool to increase activity, doesn't seem far fetched to me. The introduction of the idea of 1975 ( actually introduced by the WWCOG leader first, as crazyguy stated) before the time frame of government action, does not negate the theory of this date being used by the WT for monetary ( tax exempt) gain. "Talk to your shoes" Franz could still have fully believed it. The idea of pushing hard on something already written about, could have come from WT, money managers, lawyers, whomever might have had some foresight and knowledge that it was needed at that time to increase membership and "zeal".

Good one Cold steel

What if Armageddon happened in 1975 but was invisible?

• steve2
    steve2

What if Armageddon actually did occurr in 1975 and we are well into the 1,000 year reign of Christ and it is every bit as bad as the system it destroyed?

• prologos
    prologos

Wt did not tie the "Everlasting--" book release in 1966 with 1975. That gem did not dawn on the members until later, when the paragraphs were ruminated in the book studies where we were. Then the scramble to prove your worth through service, or for profit started. If wt wanted to boost their property tax free status in NY, would they not at least locally have highlighted the 1975 sleeper in that book openly and earlier?

• alanv
    alanv

The org had a history of naming dates. During those times there was great increase for them. There wish all the time is to grow the organisation. To do that you need more people, and as a bonus more dollars to come in.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The fact WT lost tax exemption on their New York properties between 1971 and 1974 is an interesting fact in itself I have not seen mentioned elsewhere. Thanks for posting it. I wonder why it's not been commented upon.

But linking it with the 1975 prediction seems unwarranted, unless there's some evidence.

• dozy
    dozy

Ray Franz documents this very thoroughly - it was purely the rantings of an old man. Wiser heads ( and I am speaking relatively here ) tried to pull back but the 1975 prediction had got so big & proved so popular in terms of generating new JWs that it proved impossible to stop the momentum until the date came and went.

In more recent times however the Society has become much more corporate and financial & legal issues have shaped policy and changes in practice and doctrine ( such as on blood , ending donations for literature , lifting the ban on alternatives to military service etc. ).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit