Looking Back Were There Any “Apostates” In Your Congregation?

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I remember knowing some JWs that expressed their own personal viewpoints regarding what a scripture meant that was at odds with Society teachings. In the 60 and 70’s, that was pretty much tolerated until the great purge in 1979 and 1980. As a matter of fact, it wasn’t unusual for Witnesses to get together and discuss personal questions and viewpoints they might have. It wasn’t unusual to send letters to the Society asking what was considered the right or wrong view.

After 1980 , many Witnesses were more secretive and discreet about questioning Watchtower rules and understanding.

Did you know of people who were not 100% on board with the Organization? Did you know anyone who was shunned because of their ideas and thoughts??

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Me. Apparently it was announced in jan 81 that i couldnt be d/f for wrong doing as i hadnt been a dub for years--but i was now an apostate and should be shunned by the congregation. I had no idea what it meant at the time.

• minimus
    minimus

Amazing that they sought you out when you weren’t associated for years!

• minimus
    minimus

There was a nearby congregation that went crazy. If you HINTED at any negative comment or attitude toward the elders , you were disfellowshipped for either apostasy or causing divisions.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I think I turned into one all those years of sitting thru meetings and talks and started to think what the hell as everyone else was bobbing their heads in agreement without even thinking about what is said. I developed a good BS meter.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    minimus34 minutes ago

Amazing that they sought you out when you weren’t associated for years!

well--my wife was a regular dub--dragging our kids along.

they didnt take too kindly to the fact i had started an affaire with one of the married sisters--whom they did d/f for her misdemeanor.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I was young enough in the late 60s that I did not pay attention to meetings much. It was more of I get to see other kids my age or girls to give a note I like you do you like me yes or no. By the time I got to the point of really questioning I was married and I was told by my CO Grandfather that there are a lot of things the society teaches that he did not understand but would wait on Jehovah. LOL Then as my questions got deeper he said that even if its wrong its a good life. Once I knew what the issues were, people who did not agree with the cult were really keeping it close to the vest. I knew of a couple of DFed ones who were DFed for being apostate. But we were programed to view them like you would view Charlie Manson.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

After 1980 , many Witnesses were more secretive and discreet about questioning Watchtower rules and understanding.

I would have to agree with that Minimus

There appears to be a purge of weak thinking apostates by the GB heads around that time.

More enforcement to distance oneself from DFed ones as well.

This could have come about or caused by the disappointment of 1975 effecting Bethel and throughout the organization when there was an abrupt drop in active participating members.

People were starting to ask questions or critique doctrines such as 1975.

The GB heads were pressed to take action, which resulted in more DFing for apostasy.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Around that time I myself became a non vocal apostate brought on no doubt by 1975, I stop going out in service and giving talks about that time.

By mid 1980's I was completely faded away from the organization.

Not DFed for being openly apostate mind you.

Someone who was once an elder who worked at Bethel inspired my suspicion that something was not right with what the Watchtower was doing as far as the preaching and teaching doctrines, such as 1975.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was one who openly questioned stuff from the time I was about 20, always having had questions from when I was about 10 or 11.

I joined a Congregation when I got married that had one guy in it of similar mind to me, and we became friends, gradually our influence rubbed off on others, and our Congregation became known as a " Rebel" congregation, even the guy sent in there to sort it out, by the C.O of the day, we in short time converted to our ways ! He was appointed Congregation Servant, as it was then, over and above the guys already there.

His main achievement was to get us to wear ties on the platform, not our custom before ! Eventually we got the reputation that we were " difficult" and one C.O said to me that the previous C.O was afraid to visit us, because we did not simply accept " direction" but wanted Chapter and verse from the Bible to back it up !

I fitted in to this motley crew very well. Eventually it was watered down by other Elders moving in from more Conservative places, but it was gradual.

The 1980's were without doubt a watershed, The Org itself changed, Ray Franz and friends had rattled them so much they decided to go down the route of being even more Authoritarian, and if you were not one who towed the line, you would never make " progress" in the Org.

Many moved to our Cong. as the last place that there was some semblance of freedom, and where there were intelligent people who actually made the Meetings interesting, and even F.S a bit of fun !

But, it gradually became more of a " normal" Congregation as it grew, it lost its independent spirit, and we , who now would have been labelled as Apostates I guess, either faded in to the background, or like me, left.

But to have been a member of a Congregation which today would be unthinkable in its free and independent Spirit, was I guess a better experience for me than if I had been somewhere else, I often think though, I would have woken up earlier, had I been in a little grey , boring C.O arse-licking Congregation. I could not have suffered it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit