Is the WT’s Paradise Earth doctrine a delusion?

by deegee 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The Witnesses' "paradise earth" teaching seemed to have too many holes as far as I was concerned.

I must have not really believed it because it didn't stick around in my mind after I "faded" and made peace with the idea of death.

I think it is nothing more than a "hereafter" teaching like Christendom has - only in the Witnesses case the hereafter is literally supposed to be on the earth.

I also was never entirely comfortable with the idea of that supposed final "test" after the thousand years. Sounds like mayhem all over again.

Also, the idea that after the resurrection some "would" and some "would not" would make for a divided society right there...Also, what happens if somebody "who does" wants somebody "who doesn't" (or can't).

Sounds like the makings of a mess to me!

• steve2
    steve2

For me, the most depressing part of living on Paradise earth was the belief that after the 1,000 year reign of Christ, Satan would be once again let loose into the world once again for yet another test of humans and unknown numbers would fall under his influence and have to be destroyed. What kind of madness is this? Humans exist to pass tests?

I don't know about you guys, but that belief always put a real dampner on any "joy" I would feel in looking forward to life on a transformed planet.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    How many times is Paradise actually mentioned in the bible anyway? It's been shown that the book of revelation could be talking figuratively about a heavenly hope. The other scriptures JWs quote the most are from the book of Psalms. It could easily be argued that those refer to the nation of Israel, not to us thousands of years later. Then really this whole teaching relies on one scripture in the gospels where Jesus tells the criminal being executed "You will be with me in Paradise". If this is the hope of most of mankind then why is it not mentioned else where in the NT?
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    For me, the most depressing part of living on Paradise earth was the belief that after the 1,000 year reign of Christ, Satan would be once again let loose into the world once again for yet another test of humans and unknown numbers would fall under his influence and have to be destroyed. What kind of madness is this? Humans exist to pass tests?

(-First you got to make it into the 1k as if that wasn't hard enough.)

I feel the same way but I also feel that some people are just plain mean and selfish and should get what is coming to them.

• Lieu
    Lieu
    Delusional is wanting to hang out with lions; they smell. Some think litter boxes are bad now .... I want to hang out with Noah. The first thing he did after a worldwide destruction of mankind was make some good drink and get naked. Now there's some fun times in paradise.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I've said this many times...

...the WTS has stated on more than one occasion that (even though the leadership expect to be "raptured"), the Org itself fully intends to be around to govern the post-Apocalyptic world - to build their utopia themselves.

x

However, I guarantee you that If the WTS were given control of a small country tomorrow, within a decade, free speech and freedom of religion would be nonexistent, any form of alternative sexual expression would be outlawed, creationism would be mandated in schools, medicine would be severely hobbled, science would be nonexistent, disfellowshipped people would be imprisoned or deported, and "apostates" would be sentenced to death without possibility of appeal or reprieve.

Now picture that kind of regime encompassing the entire planet.

Indefinitely.

x

Is the WT’s Paradise Earth doctrine a delusion?

No.

It's a f**king nightmare.

• deegee
    deegee

Steve2,

LongHairGal,

"I also was never entirely comfortable with the idea of that supposed final "test" after the thousand years. Sounds like mayhem all over again."
    Certainly sounds like a SECOND ARMAGEDDON doesn't it?

There is no guarantee that you will actually live forever.

According to WT theology there will be a final test/second Armageddon at the end of Christ’s 1000-year reign as per Revelation 20:7-10. Revelation 20:7-10 has guaranteed and predetermined that persons will inevitably be destroyed as a result of failing that final test as it unequivocally states that the number of persons to be destroyed will be "as the sand of the sea".

It is an inevitable/inescapable fate that has already been predicted/predetermined by the Bible - it's a future that is not guaranteed.

• deegee
    deegee

DoubtfullyYours,

"Maybe sex will be only for pleasure. That would be the best blessing ever!!! It is the most pleasurable experience there is once the pregnancy fear is out of the way. Speaking from experience only.😉"

Hopefully Armageddon comes real soon so that you will be able to have sex since no such luck for anyone who dies before Armageddon:

According to Jesus' words at Luke 20:34-36 (NIV):

'Jesus replied, “The people of THIS AGE marry and are given in marriage. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in THE AGE TO COME and IN THE RESURRECTION FROM THE DEAD will neither marry nor be given in marriage, and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection.' (emphasis mine)

Watchtower 1987 6/1 p.31:

“Some have felt that Jesus was here referring to the heavenly resurrection, yet there are reasons to believe that his reply was about the earthly resurrection in the coming system of things. What reasons underlie this view? Those questioning Jesus did not believe in him or know about a heavenly resurrection. They asked about a Jewish family under the Law. In reply Jesus referred to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, men who hoped for life again on earth. (Genesis 42:38; Job 14:13-15; compare Hebrews 11:19.) Those patriarchs, and millions of others, who are raised on earth and who prove faithful will be like the angels. Though mortal, they will not die once God has declared them righteous for endless life. So if a Christian finds it hard to accept the conclusion that RESURRECTED ONES WILL NOT MARRY, he can be sure that God and Christ are understanding. And he can simply wait to see what occurs. ” (emphasis mine)

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Happily, the JW's concept of Paradise is flawed. To the early Christians, Parardise was a place where the souls of the righteous await the resurrection. As Clement of Alexandria wrote, "After death, I think the saints go to Paradise, a place of learning or school of the spirits, where everything they did on Earth would be made clear to them." We cannot expect that men can be either saved or damned in ignorance, and many on Earth have died without having heard of Jesus or his gospel. So if they don't hear it here, they must hear it there, as did the thief on the cross.

Even the best of Christians must come to grips with their own lives; their faults, their successes, the good within themselves and the bad. This is reflected in countless near death experiences, where people undergo what's now popularly referred to as "life reviews." Those who have experienced them say it all happens very rapidly, yet they say it is extraordinary comprehensive and in places most unpleasant. Yet it's designed to purge the soul. The more wicked a person is, the more unpleasant the experience. Imagine, if you will, Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Saddam and his sons, and many, many others having to constantly relive their mortal existences, witnessing to the last detail the effects of their lives upon others down to the last niggling detail. Of watching each of their victims from the time of their births to the time of their deaths. Of experiencing everything they experienced, feeling everything they felt. And all of this through the entirety of the Millennium!

This, I think, is the fire of Hell. But as Malachi said, it will be a refiner's fire. And though the suffering is intense, it burns away one's wickedness, or sins. When one emerges from it, one is a better person. Thus, King David cries unto the Lord, "for thou shalt not leave my soul in hell."

The JWs see the atonement as restoring man to what he was in Eden, only now everyone will dress for dinner. But that would be a nightmare. Man was created to be much more than that.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Long before the sun dies, humans would have killed themselves off from pure boredom! 10 or 15 lifetimes would be more than enough of this life, even perfected. Seriously. I don't see why I'd suddenly want pet anything's, I don't like animals in the house now! Most of my dead relatives are fonder in memory than reality, and the exceptions wouldn't make it to the new JW world because they rejected the GB authority. Eternal rest is not the worst idea in the world, especially if the alternative is living as a JW for eternity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit