The Ever-Changing Song Book

by Cimarrona 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cimarrona
    Cimarrona
    The songs in the old brown song book were way better than these new ones. Had they not changed the songs, I may never have left (halfway joking). They gave no feeling, no soul (but of course there's no such thing as soul or whatever)! Now they also have these like Christian pop rock cds they listen to. It's all so strange. What a weird set of people - and yet, we were all once one of them. What a life!
  • scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

You know that the old songs they got rid of because they plagiarized the music and adapted the lyrics, right? Didn't know about the Christian pop rock songs.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Anything close to good was done away with. The really old songbooks had hymns, probably all plagiarized. the music sounds like a mix of old TV, Disney, and Mr. rogers,

the "choir" is embarrassing, can't they afford actual robes, or uniforms.

The christian pop songs reference is that some of the things they put out is identical sounding to what you hear on any of the Sunday morning TV evangelists, right down to a "pretty" singer.

• suavojr
    suavojr

This is not the organization you guys left

• compound complex
    compound complex

My first job at Bethel was stitching the pink song book. The deluxe version was produced where? Don't recall.

Then, the brown book, after I had left.

As resident piano player for the KH and assemblies, I found the pink was excellent because it was written in four-part harmony. The brown was far more pianistic in its layout. Both books provided chord symbols above the treble clef if the pianist wished to improvise the bass clef.

We rocked because I was an improviser. Boy, did the friends belt out the tunes when the music was live and soulful!

Wish there were a means for me to play my faves here.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Unmusical "music."

It's got all of the elements of music but none of the heart or soul.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Welcome cimarrona some of those later songs 80`s/90`s were cringe worthy.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander
    Brown song book? I actually remember the old Pink song book!!!!
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Like everything else, it has all been "dumbed down".....

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

To be honest I think the songs today are a vast improvement on the brown and pink books. Even if it dose sound like Walt Disney.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit