Serious question!

by ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

How would you answer:

How can you change or improve an individuals dominant mental attitude?

Zing

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Tell them to stop being so arrogant and over powering,

its unkind, disrespectful and unloving.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

You can't. They would have to.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Unless they experience a downside to their mental attitude and they see a gain in changing - won't happen.

My sister is good example. I realize that nothing will change her now. She get's too many pluses for her manipulative behaviors that she can't stop. That's why there are burdensome laws - trying to force these people to do what is right.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

dubstepped++

• blondie
    blondie

I learned in Al-Anon that I could not change the thinking of my alcoholic parent, just learn to change my reaction to their alcoholism. AA members share their own experiences with other alcoholics at their meetings but do not tell the individual what they should do. Even sponsors are not to try and control/change another alcoholic.

• Simon
    Simon

You can only change how you respond to things. The mistake people often make is enabling such behavior by allowing the person to do it without consequence. Sometimes you can be "too" polite and accommodating.

Sometimes, you just have to chose if you want such people in your life. Same with any dysfunction - you are happier if you free yourself from people who seem to wallow in drama and lurch from crisis to crisis.

• blondie
    blondie

Good answer, Simon, to the point and easy to understand.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I'm guessing you are referring to Eph 4:23. The passage is typical language of religious conversion. It seems like psychobabble to someone without experience in group thought manipulation. But for many who experience some 'conversion' the changes in personality are real and positive, for others the change might be outwardly constructive but reinforced through forms of xenophobia and coercion. Basically people can change if they want to enough, not quickly, but they can become a 'different person' through conditioning. Sustaining the desire to change in others is accomplished through appealing to normal human desires of acceptance and belonging and conditioning with repetition through positive/negative reinforcement. The ethics of these methods is a question of the openness, degree of the pressures used and the effects on the person's life.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well I have no idea if it's a serious question or the context however if you can get the person to take up a serious meditation habit, it can show them things, such as their own behaviour, much in the way psychedelics can do, apparently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit