Interesting observations at an SDA church

by joe134cd 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• LV101
    LV101

They really stress the importance of education and health unlike the dark Watchtower. From what I've been told they're a part of their community and very fitness-minded people.

Have an evangelical acquaintance/friend who received her doctorate in Loma Linda and she's in awe of the SDAs just like my friends who are residents. Their faith, families, education, HEALTH, fitness - on and on and I tried to tell her they were rooted in same crazy as JWs and she couldn't comprehend the two (nor can I) having anything in common -- she was never a JW but knows the JW horror. I agreed with her and SDA early history is the only negative I'm aware of -- they did practice shunning but that's a thing of the past -- perhaps a few very aged hard liners but nothing like cult JW.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

I went once or twice on my journey out of JW. The only weird thing was the Ellen White idolatry slant. Other than that it's fine if you're into such a thing. Personally I'll never be an active member of any faith group again, can't stand having to answer to anyone and have to give up any of my freedom. The tithing is totally unacceptable.

• LV101
    LV101
    No more memberships in religion for me. Scary.
  • steve2
    steve2

If you want to get a SDA exercised, Part 2: Ask, "Do you people idolize Ellen White.?"

Be sure you stand well back before they answer.

BTW, if anyone thinks JWs are vicious mouthed in responding to apostate videos, check out the ex-SDAs videos on YouTube: Committed SDAs virtually take over the comments sections and absolutely eviscerate anyone who dares criticise the SDA church.

• barry
    barry

My family and I attended and SDA church over Easter at Belleville in Sydney and the church was filled with young people. We attended to meet many of my relatives so we didn't have to travel all around Sydney.

My family and I have attended the Anglican church for about 8 years now because the SDA church here in Canberra is very right wing.

The Kellyville SDA church in Sydney is very evangelical and charismatic and they had a band the drummer was housed in a plastic cage and we were undecided if it was for the sound quality or we would be in danger if he were to escape. My Aunty is very traditional to the right of centre and only goes because of her daughter and many grandchildren and great grandchildren. It is a great church for the younger generation the pastor is Swedish and his wife is also a pastor. The SDA General Conference leaders do have a problem with women pastors.

Steve 2 Ellen White plagiarised from mostly Anglican writers

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

They are a sort of JW Lite.

• barry
    barry

https://youtu.be/BsqrzcQ3n2A

This is Sam Leonor speaking at Belleville SDA church.

• steve2
    steve2

Barry: Ellen White plagiarised from mostly Anglican writers

To paraphrase Monty Python, "She is not a prophetess, she is just very naughty."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think Ellen White produced so many books, like whole libraries full of material, they are still reading through it to see what it contains. No doubt a lot of it was borrowed material. Charles Russell borrowed some material for Studies in the Scriptures too, much of it attributed, but perhaps not all. One day it should be possible to run early Watchtower literature through a plagiarism database and establish just how much was borrowed and from where.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

More than 40 books and 5000 articles:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ellen_G._White_writings

There is probably no one alive can claim to have read all the writings attributed to Ellen White.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit