The "Imperfect Men" Argument

by steve2 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

You know who else are "imperfect men, sincere in their study of the bible?"

The Pope

The Archbishop of Canterbury

Thomas S Monson (Mormon president)

St.Jerome (translated the bible into Latin)

Martin Luther

Yet, if we dared to follow what these men say/said we'd be out on our ear. We're supposed to follow "the best imperfect organization on earth".

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We're supposed to follow "the best imperfect organization on earth".

Well, don't you know that it is still "the best way of life" even if they have it all wrong! (Right, Mom!)GEEZ!

Image result for right mom

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

JW's know they are imperfect but not as imperfect as others, because they are trying to live by God's standards. Imperfectness is imperfectness....it's just a matter of degree...in the eyes of a witness...

That is their catch phrase...

Tor

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

But what about the activity of being proclaiming false prophets and how Jesus instructed his true followers to repel and stay away from these false prophets. ?

If one is to identify themselves as true faithful Christians in the eyes of god then repelling false prophets is a part of that instruction and obedience should be observed.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

They are imperfect.... agreed but they are the only ones guided by the Holy Spirit, acting as the channel of communication between God and mankind, as per their own argument.

Then why the heck do they make false predictions /reasoning / claims ? So what is the part of the Holy spirit then ?

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I too hear this nonsense countless times.

I usually like to point out two things about this:

- that this "being imperfect" excuse is not compatible with the notion that someone is spirit directed. How could it ever be? If someone claims to be spirit directed and fails at providing truth, then what does this show?

- Is there any religion out there that couldn't make the same claim in order to excuse their failings? By what measure could anybody find out if a religion is true, if any failure could be simply excused by saying "we are imperfect?". You could point at catholics and call out their failings, and they could simply say "Well we are imperfect", or " Hey, we are waiting on God, he will straight things out"

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

redvip2000, Exactly you spoke my mind !! The Pope could very well defend their cruel Inquisitions and Witch Burning/Drowning , claiming they are imperfect

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

The Watchtower quoted earlier in this thread went on to say that the spiritual food provided was at times wrong. This did it for me. February 2017 - "Of course, Jesus did not tell us that his faithful slave would produce perfect spiritual food."

We used to say about False Religion that if a person gave you a glass of water which was 99% safe would you drink it? Because the 1% poison could kill you.

So if the spiritual food that the F&D slave is dishing out is imperfect, then the question is Should I be eating it? And by the same logical argument above, the answer is pretty clear.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

It's amazing how two consenting adults can be disfellowshipped for touching each other, but you can't get disfellowshipped for a few false prophesies that adversely affected the lives of millions.

Yep, I'd say that's pretty imperfect.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Yes, Lost in the Fog,

1% poison.... are you really going to keep drinking the water?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit