Far and away the best video I have seen explaining cults

by jwfacts 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Island Man, that is a good video too. The Ted one is a good introduction for someone that does not comprehend what a cult is or that they are in one. The one you include is far more in-depth, and I dare say would be somewhat incomprehensible to many JWs when listening to it the first time.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Vidiot I watched it with my JW filter on and already tuned out after I saw the depiction of one human leader. "We serve Jehovah! The Governing Body are just humble servants - they're hardly 'at the top'" my inner cult identity shouted in defense of the organization. Indoctrinated Witnesses can't see basic, irrevocable evidence when it stares them in the face. What chance do they have when it comes to applying secular material to their own organization? The only time they'd accept anything from the outside is if the Governing Body chews it first then vomits it into the members' mouths. THEN they'll swallow it gratefully.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    tuned out after I saw the depiction of one human leader.

This is a good point. A lot of people think a cult has to have a single leader. Discussions on cults should be clearer that it requires a dominant leadership, not leader. Many will start with a strong leader, but after the leader dies the structure may change. The important aspect is not the number of leaders, but whether the leaders use the concept of mystical manipulation and cannot be questioned.

• Pete Zahut
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

Pete, intriguing video. Incredible to see how an atheist sees discussions with JWs, particularly one that had previously been in a Christian religion.

He mentions that the beliefs are childish. I've come to realize that too about JW thinking after researching the beliefs of other Christian groups, yet as a JW I had always thought Watchtower reasoning was so deep.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So true jwfacts!

As witnesses we thought we were so "educated"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit