2019-2049

by Alex Bogdanov 17 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Looking back I now understand the statement "There's no such thing as a coincidence."

I recall that in the mid-1990s we were all expecting the Great Tribulation to start at any moment. Every tragedy in the world was linked to the End of Days. Just about the time the clock was going to hit 00:00 the WBTS pulls a rabbit out of its hat - Overlapping Generations. The Governing Body, the referees of our life, put time back on the clock and set the clock to ??:??PM.

I remember how people left the organization over this and couldn't comprehend it at that time. Mostly because I was a kid just out of high school. No it all makes sense and I can see the man behind the curtain.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

It is called Russian Roulette my friends!

WASH, RINSE, REPEAT !

Zing

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The Overlap doctrine wasn’t until about 2008 or 2010. It was the new understanding on “to’te” (then” — as in, “then The End will come” — that surfaced in 1995.

SSDD (Same Shit, Different Day)

• waton
    waton

The overlap doctrine shows how desperate wt writers are to retain any hold on reality. 1914 really happened, even though not as wt expected at all. The overlapping groups are really 2 anointed centenarians overlapping, with their history of "anointing" as 20, 19 years olds . . So: 2x100= 200, minus 39 years of combined, non - anointed still lucid youth = 161.

1914 + 161= 2075. Alex, where did you get 2049 from? dont low ball us.

Most wt writers must be chaste bachelors, having no clue about generating a generation. Fertile minds though!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Curiously, I called my mom to say hello and check up on her, and after the normal pleasantries and small talk, she promptly advised me to "come back to Jehovah", and that the end is now really really imminent.

To avoid an argument i changed the subject, but I really could have said I remember her saying the same thing prior to the year 2000 that the world would positively end before the turn of the century.

Yet, here we are 19 years later.

• Alex Bogdanov
    Alex Bogdanov

Thank you everyone for the replies 👍

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The really silly thing about JW's is that their Foundation Doctrine of 1914, upon which everything hangs, not just the Big A, but also the G.B's claim to be spokespersons for god etc, the Doctrine is totally SHITE !

No way can it be supported from Scripture, and occasionally a JW Apologist will try the old circumstantial evidence rubbish " Look, WW! started in that year".

None of today's JW's could make a good job of explaining the doctrine, let alone defending it to someone who knows.

The Bible has some passages that speak of an "End Time" or a Judgement Day, but if you read them as the Bible should be read, with the writers agenda in mind, and being aware of his audience, and the extent of their knowledge and expectations etc, you will realize that the Bible most times is not looking very far ahead than the writer's own time, and scriptures that are looking further ahead are as vague as any Apocalyptic message found anywhere.

There is no basis for believing we are in the End Time, and certainly no basis for believing a battle of Armageddon will occur, because the chief protagonists in the story, God, the Devil. J.C etc are..... FICTIONAL !!

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot
    Tameria2001 a day ago
    It's ironic that the bible says that no man knows the day or the hour, <snip>

And what does the Bible say that we should do with false prophets???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit